Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Printer Kit (Official Thread)

Posted by Dan_FolgerTech 
Re: Folger Tech 2020 i3 Printer Kit (Official Thread)
October 27, 2015 01:45PM
Some talk on the Solidoodle forums about S3D also, wish there was a trial version for 15 days or something without have to pay first then get reimbursed if for whatever reason I don't like it.
October 27, 2015 01:45PM
Here are some calibration cubes I've printed.

[imgur.com]

The first was actually underextruded - I was getting 90mm instead of 100. The second is with the extruder calibrated. The third is with Slic3r (the first two were Cura). And the fourth is actually a hollow 20mm cube I accidentally printed, which printed *very* slowly. If I'm using the same slicer setting, why did it print more slowly and carefully?

You can see what I think is the effect of a loose Y axis belt - the front (top in this case) and bottom are much rougher. I'm not really sure why I'm getting bulging on two of the corners though.

The piece in front is the part that broke off the Y axis belt holder. It's much more stringy and had very little strength. Again, with the same slicer (I think I used Cura) why would that be?
October 27, 2015 01:51PM
I was just on the S3D site this morning and they do have a trial version you can download.
October 27, 2015 02:36PM
Viper97
I was just on the S3D site this morning and they do have a trial version you can download.
Can you share link? I'm on there right now and don't see one. The only thing I can find is if I click purchase license they list this: "Try it for a full two weeks! If you don’t love the software, return it for a full refund."
October 27, 2015 03:06PM
woodknack
therippa
Keary123
therippa in regards to Simplify3D what problems did it solve? I have been using slicer and have had some annoyances, no real
Issues. I thought about switching to Cura. What are your thoughts on this?

Two things it immediately fixed was waviness on the walls of my calibration cubes, and one corner on them always bulging out.

Also S3D is more then just a slicer. Im still learning things I can do with it. You can bring two model into and merge them together. Like a pair of sun glass's to an aliens head. And much more. From easy to advanced.

[www.youtube.com]

I've been wanting to pull the trigger on this software for a while now, all of this S3D talk today just might push me over the edge :-)
October 27, 2015 03:16PM
sonnylowe
woodknack
therippa
Keary123
therippa in regards to Simplify3D what problems did it solve? I have been using slicer and have had some annoyances, no real
Issues. I thought about switching to Cura. What are your thoughts on this?

Two things it immediately fixed was waviness on the walls of my calibration cubes, and one corner on them always bulging out.

Also S3D is more then just a slicer. Im still learning things I can do with it. You can bring two model into and merge them together. Like a pair of sun glass's to an aliens head. And much more. From easy to advanced.

[www.youtube.com]

I've been wanting to pull the trigger on this software for a while now, all of this S3D talk today just might push me over the edge :-)

Need help? Visit the Folgertech Wikia Page

The latest Marlin firmware with Folgertech Prusa i3 settings merged in, get it here

And check out my designs on Thingiverse, and follow me if you like what you see!
October 27, 2015 04:39PM
And speaking of Simplify3d, they put out a really good print troubleshooting guide today - [www.simplify3d.com]

Need help? Visit the Folgertech Wikia Page

The latest Marlin firmware with Folgertech Prusa i3 settings merged in, get it here

And check out my designs on Thingiverse, and follow me if you like what you see!
October 27, 2015 08:25PM
kn4ud
therippa

[www.thingiverse.com]

Make sure it lines up with the holes on your extruder. If I remember correctly I think I had to drill them out for the stock Folgertech

Yes, the holes are 30mm apart insted of 31mm.

I was about to do it myself, but was happily surprised to see that link actually has the SCAD to move the holes if necessary. They are already spaced at 30mm?

Going to give this one a print.
[www.thingiverse.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2015 08:29PM by srcga.
October 28, 2015 02:25AM
therippa
And speaking of Simplify3d, they put out a really good print troubleshooting guide today - [www.simplify3d.com]

Thank you! This is a big help on a few issues I have..
October 28, 2015 06:25AM
I'm curious if anyone here is running the Repeteir firmware? I was reading the E3D wiki page and they recommend this firmware for their Cyclops dual extruder (see below). I took a look at the interface and I do like what I saw, it appears to be a pretty easy method of setting up the firmware. Not sure I'd be willing to make the leap at this point, I just wonder if it works as advertised!?!?

"Software and Printing Guidelines.

Our preferred software stack is to use Repetier-Firmware on the printer, Cura to produce GCode, with Repetier-Host to arrange and pre-process multi-material 3D models. As ever, there are a plethora of other software options that you may wish to experiment with, however we have found the above combination to be the easiest to get great results from.

Repetier firmware is easily configured with a graphical interface through the web config tool here: [1] which supports the configuration of single nozzle, dual extruder systems.

Marlin does not easily or safely support single nozzle, multiple extruder systems as of February 2015."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2015 10:38AM by sonnylowe.
October 28, 2015 11:50AM
After searching through this entire thread, I wasn't able to find an answer to my problem...

I have my printer built and firmware flashed (thanks therippa!), but when I try to calibrate in Repetier Host, I can only get the Z axis to move... I have checked all my connections and settings, but I can't for the life of me seem to get X or Y to move.

Any suggestions?
October 28, 2015 11:54AM
The Sto
After searching through this entire thread, I wasn't able to find an answer to my problem...

I have my printer built and firmware flashed (thanks therippa!), but when I try to calibrate in Repetier Host, I can only get the Z axis to move... I have checked all my connections and settings, but I can't for the life of me seem to get X or Y to move.

Any suggestions?

I found that clicking "home all" first, then you can move you axis.
October 28, 2015 12:24PM
Mopar99
The Sto

Any suggestions?

I have tried that, it still won't move either axis... I can move them both by hand, but I can't in rep host... I even tried re-flashing the firmware with the hope that I did something wrong, but still no luck...
October 28, 2015 12:52PM
The Sto
Mopar99
The Sto

Any suggestions?

I have tried that, it still won't move either axis... I can move them both by hand, but I can't in rep host... I even tried re-flashing the firmware with the hope that I did something wrong, but still no luck...

Have you checked your driver voltages for each stepper?
October 28, 2015 01:59PM
Mopar99
The Sto
Mopar99
The Sto

Any suggestions?

I have not, and now the ultimate noob question... How do I check the voltage? I'm a lot better on the building side than I am on the software / electronics side...
October 28, 2015 02:04PM
The Sto
Mopar99
The Sto
Mopar99
The Sto

Any suggestions?

I have not, and now the ultimate noob question... How do I check the voltage? I'm a lot better on the building side than I am on the software / electronics side...

I take it you've already triple checked the wiring and where they are connected at the RAMPS board? I say that since checking the voltage is a little dangerous (for the electronics). There have been multiple instances just on this forum where people have gone to measure/adjust the voltage only to short them out which destroys other stuff too. Better to check the easy stuff first. smiling smiley You'll also want to make sure the limit switches aren't tripped (or think they're tripped).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2015 02:05PM by markts.
October 28, 2015 02:10PM
markts
The Sto
Mopar99
The Sto
Mopar99
The Sto

Any suggestions?

I take it you've already triple checked the wiring and where they are connected at the RAMPS board? I say that since checking the voltage is a little dangerous (for the electronics). There have been multiple instances just on this forum where people have gone to measure/adjust the voltage only to short them out which destroys other stuff too. Better to check the easy stuff first. smiling smiley You'll also want to make sure the limit switches aren't tripped (or think they're tripped).

I have triple checked all my wiring, yes. This is really throwing me for a loop... I even unplugged everything from the board and started fresh plugging it all back in from scratch.
October 28, 2015 02:19PM
The Sto
markts
The Sto
Mopar99
The Sto
Mopar99
The Sto

Any suggestions?

I have triple checked all my wiring, yes. This is really throwing me for a loop... I even unplugged everything from the board and started fresh plugging it all back in from scratch.

Try swapping Z for another axis at the RAMPS board. That should rule out the steppers, motors, etc. Just be ready on the power switch as the limit switch isn't going to stop anything!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2015 02:21PM by markts.
October 28, 2015 02:49PM
markts
The Sto
markts
The Sto
Mopar99
The Sto
Mopar99
The Sto

Any suggestions?

Try swapping Z for another axis at the RAMPS board. That should rule out the steppers, motors, etc. Just be ready on the power switch as the limit switch isn't going to stop anything!

So you're saying to plug X or Y into the slot for Z on the RAMPS board? I just want to make sure that I am understanding correctly... I've already learned a lot about troubleshooting this from reading all the information here, but as was said, I don't want to short anything out and be in a worse spot than I am now...

Also, how do I go about checking the voltage for the steppers? It was mentioned earlier, but then never explained... Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2015 03:05PM by The Sto.
October 28, 2015 03:13PM
The Sto
markts
The Sto
markts
The Sto
Mopar99
The Sto
Mopar99
The Sto

Any suggestions?

So you're saying to plug X or Y into the slot for Z on the RAMPS board? I just want to make sure that I am understanding correctly... I've already learned a lot about troubleshooting this from reading all the information here, but as was said, I don't want to short anything out and be in a worse spot than I am now...

Also, how do I go about checking the voltage for the steppers? It was mentioned earlier, but then never explained... Thanks!

Yes that's what was suggesting. Swap the connection for the two axes and see if X moves (since Z does now). The steppers have a metal screw on them that is LIVE (positive voltage) . You check the voltage across that screw and ground, preferably far away from the stepper so it reduces the chance of shorting it out.
October 28, 2015 03:38PM
markts
The Sto
markts
The Sto
markts
The Sto
Mopar99
The Sto
Mopar99
The Sto

Any suggestions?

Yes that's what was suggesting. Swap the connection for the two axes and see if X moves (since Z does now). The steppers have a metal screw on them that is LIVE (positive voltage) . You check the voltage across that screw and ground, preferably far away from the stepper so it reduces the chance of shorting it out.

Thanks! I'll have to try it when I get home from work tonight! I hate only having a couple hours a day to get this dialed in, and I've been trying to figure this out for 3 days now... Finally joined the forum to ask the questions... Thanks for all your help! I'll report back tonight with my findings!
October 28, 2015 08:09PM
Hi folks, new guy here- just got my 2020 yesterday, and wanted to thank everyone for all the info and tips! I had a couple small issues, but was able to find all the answers here, or by simple searches. It's up and printing very nicely! Now on to upgrades! Thanks again to everyone, especially therippa for the firmware-
October 28, 2015 08:27PM
Bryg63
Hi folks, new guy here- just got my 2020 yesterday, and wanted to thank everyone for all the info and tips! I had a couple small issues, but was able to find all the answers here, or by simple searches. It's up and printing very nicely! Now on to upgrades! Thanks again to everyone, especially therippa for the firmware-

Welcome to the thread smiling smiley
October 28, 2015 10:38PM
Once setup with the new firmware, I have had a lot of success... I even plugged in my display and it worked right out of the gate...

But I think I am getting impatient...

I was trying to print a large Pip Boy for a friend... The larger pieces are 7.5" long, and near the limits of the printer... After about 12 hours of printing, the darn thing shifted twice... on each part, at the same level... (about 1.5" up) but on different axis... All my other prints are fine...

Using the screen, I saw the print speed was at 57%... Slicer estimated my build at 8 hours, but when I started the print, it said more like 13 hours.... U used the screen to adjust the speed back to 100%... could that cause it?

Any ideas?
October 28, 2015 10:50PM
i figured out my problem with the plastic warping on the initial layers. Increased the scale by 20% and made the first ten layers solid. Not sure if the 20% was necessary or not but I think the solid layers probably were the real fix. Anyway, I managed to exceed the z dimensions as currently configured. Can anyone suggest the best way to slice the top off the stl file so I can print it and glue to finish my skull?
October 28, 2015 11:33PM
Well, today after playing with the level on the bed and getting all correct, I tried to extrude some filament to check on the heating element, the steeper and understand about extruder test and calibration...

After getting the temperature to 200 and centering the head so I could see the hot PLA coming I found that the steeper was moving but not pulling the filament, so I check again and discovered that if I click a negative number under manual control on repetier the extruder pulls the filament and extrude without problems!

I'm guessing that something is not right, so I decide just to stop and ask!!

Positive numbers move Y to the front, positive numbers move X to the right, and positive numbers move Z up... what should be correct because EndStops are set at the Min position for axis movement (X axis is set with the home as Max because I have the end stop on the right side, I will move the switch to the left side tomorrow and change the setting to Home X to Min!)...

Can the direction of the Steeper be changed on the Marlin Firmware or I need to check the order of the wires and swap positions on the connector to get it right?

Mr.Fus
<------------------------------------------------->
Green M3D (Running v.1.3.6.3Beta)
FolgerTech Prusa i3 (2020 Frame)
<------------------------------------------------>
October 28, 2015 11:33PM
Well, today after playing with the level on the bed and getting all correct, I tried to extrude some filament to check on the heating element, the steeper and understand about extruder test and calibration...

After getting the temperature to 200 and centering the head so I could see the hot PLA coming I found that the steeper was moving but not pulling the filament, so I check again and discovered that if I click a negative number under manual control on repetier the extruder pulls the filament and extrude without problems!

Positive numbers move Y to the front, positive numbers move X to the right, and positive numbers move Z up... what should be correct because EndStops are set at the Min position for axis movement (X axis is set with the home as Max because I have the end stop on the right side, I will move the switch to the left side tomorrow and change the setting to Home X to Min!)...

Can the direction of the Steeper be changed on the Marlin Firmware or I need to check the order of the wires and swap positions on the connector to get it right?

Mr.Fus
October 28, 2015 11:37PM
Mrfus

If I read that right... your extruder is retracting, not extruding? Just reverse the stepper wires on the ramps board... it's the lower right one... Mine is red-right, but YMMV...
October 28, 2015 11:46PM
Devil, I had the same problem. I took an extra "L" bracket and put it about an inch from the inside edge on top, and it fixed my problem...
October 28, 2015 11:55PM
Spam
Mrfus

If I read that right... your extruder is retracting, not extruding? Just reverse the stepper wires on the ramps board... it's the lower right one... Mine is red-right, but YMMV...

I think my is like that, if you are facing the Ramps board, I have the two connectors for Z with the red wire on the right, Y is the same, X is with the right wire to the left and Ext0 is with the red wire to the right, I guess I can just plugging the plug in backwards like is with X and see what happens! grinning smiley

Mr.Fus
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login