Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Printer Kit (Official Thread)

Posted by Dan_FolgerTech 
Re: Folger Tech 2020 i3 Printer Kit (Official Thread)
September 28, 2015 05:36PM
On the auto leveling... I for one, am lazy. And clumsy. And I like to mess with stuff. One less thing I don't have to do, the better. I'm good with leveling as well. I leveled by hand then probed for giggles.. was within 0.05mm on all corners.
September 28, 2015 05:48PM
tjnamtiw
Mach
Hey tjnamtiw, have you tried the full graphics controller? If you did, could you get it to work properly?

No, I haven't tried it ............yet. smiling smiley All of these 'goodies' are very tempting but I ask myself "Self, do you really need that right now when you're having enough fun making STUFF and designing new STUFF? AND it's all working, so don't screw with it!"

I haven't really even looked at the advantages of the new display vs the one I have, to be honest. To be equally honest, at this point, I can see why everyone is making such a big deal out of this self-leveling BS when I've run about 100 hours and my bed still has a .1 mm gap in all four corners. (checked it yesterday). That goes for the threaded rod vs lead screws for the Z axis. I know the advantages of lead screws but for the Z axis that gets used so very little, it makes little sense. There's no backlash because you have the entire X axis assembly hanging on it taking up the backlash. I can see real advantages for the X and Y axes, but not the Z. If any emphasis should be brought to bear, it should be on eliminating these horrible 8 mm linear bearings and the alignment issues of the twin rods, which causes most of the problems IMHO. Most people don't have a clue that they are the weak link in the whole reprap design.

Wow, you wanted a simple yes or no, didn't you? hahaha

LOL smiling smiley
September 28, 2015 07:38PM
srcga
On the auto leveling... I for one, am lazy. And clumsy. And I like to mess with stuff. One less thing I don't have to do, the better. I'm good with leveling as well. I leveled by hand then probed for giggles.. was within 0.05mm on all corners.

1/2 a tenth is pretty darn good for those sensors! Wow.
September 28, 2015 08:09PM
How far should the nozzle actually be from the bed?

Newbie with Folgertech 2020 i3.
September 28, 2015 09:50PM
msaeger

The standard is for you to be able to slide a piece of printing paper under the nozzle, with a slight amount of grab onto the paper from the nozzle. This will get you to about 100 microns(0.1mm) from the bed.
September 28, 2015 10:09PM
Mach
msaeger

The standard is for you to be able to slide a piece of printing paper under the nozzle, with a slight amount of grab onto the paper from the nozzle. This will get you to about 100 microns(0.1mm) from the bed.

If you have feeler gauges, that's about 0.004". That gives you a good squeeze out as you move slowly on the first pass.
September 28, 2015 11:58PM
tjnamtiw
srcga

1/2 a tenth is pretty darn good for those sensors! Wow.

I know, close enough for me.

tjnamtiw
Mach
msaeger

If you have feeler gauges, that's about 0.004". That gives you a good squeeze out as you move slowly on the first pass.

Yep was going to say -- feeler gauges. My smallest one is .005" which I think is .13mm, and that got me close.

The one thing that is a nice side effect with the auto level is that I can adjust that offset (in turn, dial in the first layer via firmware) --- without it you would need to print yourself one of those Z end stop adjusters w/ thumb screw to get the precise adjustment, or turn off the safeties that allow travel past the Z end stop to get dialed in... or even home Z when the nozzle is away from the bed then have a firmware offset raise it high enough. That is really where I can see newcomers getting frustrated, getting that Z end stop right. It definitely does take time.

Printed 1 layer of material with .3mm height and that is exactly what it read on my calipers. I know there is a margin of error -- perfectly happy with being within hundreths of a mm, personally.

Starting to get some bearing noise on the X and Y carriages. Going to see if lubing up helps, or some upgrades smiling smiley
September 29, 2015 06:06AM
"adjust that offset (in turn, dial in the first layer via firmware"

What firmware setting do you use for this?
September 29, 2015 09:10AM
For the offset >> Repetier/Slicr/Configuration/Printer Settings/Z Offset

So, for ABL, if, for example the left side is detected as being .4 mm lower than the right side, as the print head moves to the left you should see the Z axis move downward every time it goes to the left. Correct?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2015 09:11AM by tjnamtiw.
September 29, 2015 10:52AM
RRuser
"adjust that offset (in turn, dial in the first layer via firmware"

What firmware setting do you use for this?

(Please note I am using ABL so this response assumes that)

This is the firmware related setting for ABL for Z offset.. If you change this, in essence, you can fine tune nozzle height.

#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -9.87 //

pretty sure you can adjust this via LCD on the fly, maybe in repetier as well like tjnamtiw mentioned. I've been printing off of SD lately and not via repetier so, take that into account.

Great youtube 3 parter on ABL. Part 3 has the offset adjustments. [www.youtube.com]
September 29, 2015 05:11PM
Can someone look at this and tell me why the lines by the holes look different? I'm still in the tweaking mode. Need help getting this dialed in

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2015 06:17PM by woodknack.
September 29, 2015 10:29PM
Just finished a minor rebuild of the Y subsystem: replaced the bearings and lubricated them, which I didn't do the first time round, and replaced the belt block with one that has an adjustable tensioner:

I also added washers to the adjustment screws for the heated bed, so now they go (from top to bottom): bolt, washer, heater, washer, spring, washer, aluminium base, washer, adjustment nut, like this:

This makes tweaking them a lot easier. In honour of Tom Salanderer's term "kapton burrito", I'm thinking of calling it the "hot bed spring roll",

See my blog at [moosteria.blogspot.com].
September 29, 2015 10:43PM
animoose
Just finished a minor rebuild of the Y subsystem: replaced the bearings and lubricated them, which I didn't do the first time round, and replaced the belt block with one that has an adjustable tensioner:

I also added washers to the adjustment screws for the heated bed, so now they go (from top to bottom): bolt, washer, heater, washer, spring, washer, aluminium base, washer, adjustment nut, like this:

This makes tweaking them a lot easier. In honour of Tom Salanderer's term "kapton burrito", I'm thinking of calling it the "hot bed spring roll",

Good idea on the washers. I assume lock washers so the darn bolt doesn't turn when you turn the thumb nut. Opened your photos (wouldn't display here) and I see they are flat washers. When it's time for me, I'm using star washers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2015 11:02PM by tjnamtiw.
September 29, 2015 11:13PM
I didn't use lock washers and that's a good idea. I hold the bolt in place with an Allen key which I turn the adjuster. I'll swap them out when I can next face going through relevelling the bed.

September 30, 2015 12:00AM
animoose

Got a link to the STL for that y-tensioner? I've had a hell of a time finding a decent one on thingiverse (I'm clearly not searching using the right words)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2015 12:09AM by therippa.
September 30, 2015 12:05AM
Anyone found or made a adjustable Z end stop switch holder that fits on this machine? I keep finding ones that are for the motors on the bottom.

September 30, 2015 12:10AM
I think this is where the tensioner came from: [www.thingiverse.com]. I printed it ages ago, so I am not certain. One thing to note is that you have to pick the length of the on the movable side carefully or else it gets in the way. I used a M3x12 with three washers to get it exactly right. Probably M3x10 would work, I just didn't have any to hand.

September 30, 2015 12:12AM
msaeger
Anyone found or made a adjustable Z end stop switch holder that fits on this machine? I keep finding ones that are for the motors on the bottom.

For my X/Z rebuild I used this [www.thingiverse.com] with this [www.thingiverse.com]. Not sure it's exactly what you wanted.

September 30, 2015 12:23AM
animoose
I think this is where the tensioner came from: [www.thingiverse.com]. I printed it ages ago, so I am not certain. One thing to note is that you have to pick the length of the on the movable side carefully or else it gets in the way. I used a M3x12 with three washers to get it exactly right. Probably M3x10 would work, I just didn't have any to hand.

Whoever designed that and submitted the pictures did not have their extrusion flow set properly winking smiley
September 30, 2015 12:43AM
animoose
msaeger

For my X/Z rebuild I used this [www.thingiverse.com] with this [www.thingiverse.com]. Not sure it's exactly what you wanted.

I like that one but at the moment I would rate find one that doesn't require replacing the X motor mount. I am bookmarking it for when I feel like redoing the X axis.

September 30, 2015 01:47AM
msaeger
animoose
msaeger

I like that one but at the moment I would rate find one that doesn't require replacing the X motor mount. I am bookmarking it for when I feel like redoing the X axis.

You have to break a couple eggs to make a 3d printed omelette (and find the omelette STL or make it in your 3d design software of choice)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2015 02:39AM by therippa.
September 30, 2015 10:31AM
therippa
animoose

Whoever designed that and submitted the pictures did not have their extrusion flow set properly winking smiley

I just got through installing this tensioner on my ft2020 this morning along with using 4 bearings on the y axis in place of 3. I used 3x10 button head screws and a non locking nut under the adjustment end. Added a little blue locktight on it.
September 30, 2015 05:11PM
Stepper motor settings: Lots of discussion about this, BUT: I was surprised to find the stepper motors supplied by FTech are 12 volt motors. Since the power supply is 12 volts as well, no current limiting should be needed. Thus the current pots should be able to be at maximum as the motors will not draw more than they are rated for. So they shouldn't overheat. I see most motors are rated for a case temp of 100C which is darned hot. Usually steppers are speced at 2-6 times less than the supply voltage for faster acceleration and current limiting is then needed.

My X motor runs the hottest, about 50C...

Any feedback??
September 30, 2015 05:26PM
For now, I'm using this one:
[www.thingiverse.com]

I put it together from a similar one by psbox. I went that route for the same reason you mention - I didn't want to take anything else apart right now.

I've also seen one that mounts on the rod base, and x motor mount, but it looked more awkward and inconvenient to adjust.
I think this is that one: [www.thingiverse.com]

I'll try to take some photos tonight.

Folger Tech 2020 i3 Wiki

Custom google search for the Folger Tech 2020 i3 forum topic by Animoose

My Thingiverse Designs
October 01, 2015 08:53AM
Getting close to the point of printing my first part. I have finally made it through the configuration guide and all the manual controls seem to be working properly. I can manually extrude filament with the Repetier-Host controls. I started my first print (a simple 10mm cube) and there was no extrusion during the print. The extruder ran the print route but extruded no filament. Any ideas on what the cause of this could be? I have tried the simple things like powering down the printer and restarting Repetier-Host. I even swapped out the extruder head.
October 01, 2015 09:27AM
This is a long shot but the simplest things ALWAYS get me. What is your extruder temperature default set for in Repetier/Printer settings and in Repetier/slicer? Maybe when you are printing, the extruder isn't hot.?

I hope you calibrated your extruder before trying to print the test cube.
October 01, 2015 09:38AM
"Can someone look at this and tell me why the lines by the holes look different? "

My first guess is too much retraction when it gets to the hole. After the hole, not enough plastic comes back out, and you get a shinkage look.
October 01, 2015 01:10PM
RRuser
"Can someone look at this and tell me why the lines by the holes look different? "

My first guess is too much retraction when it gets to the hole. After the hole, not enough plastic comes back out, and you get a shinkage look.

Thanks you for your feedback. I have it printing better now . My extruder was off a little. I recalibrated it and all seems much better
October 01, 2015 02:16PM
jaclack
Getting close to the point of printing my first part. I have finally made it through the configuration guide and all the manual controls seem to be working properly. I can manually extrude filament with the Repetier-Host controls. I started my first print (a simple 10mm cube) and there was no extrusion during the print. The extruder ran the print route but extruded no filament. Any ideas on what the cause of this could be? I have tried the simple things like powering down the printer and restarting Repetier-Host. I even swapped out the extruder head.

Did some searching back through the forum and found others that had an issue with the extruder stepper cable being backwards. I swapped the connection to the Ramps board and it is printing now. Thanks tjnamtiw for your response with the idea you suggested.
October 01, 2015 04:27PM
Glad you are going. I had to reverse my extruder plug too but I didn't suggest that because you said you extruded using Repetier in manual.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login