Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Objects don't print the correct size..

Posted by huntleybill 
Objects don't print the correct size..
May 08, 2015 10:38PM
I tied printing a 20x20x20 high cube and it comes out 20x20x17 high. I would expect some variance,but that is pretty big. Also, when I print something with a hole in it, the hole is never the size it should be. A 10mm hole will be 9.1 mm for example.

I am using a makerfarm prusa i3v with Slic3r 1.1.7. ABS 220/100 0.2 layer height.

What can I do do to get the prints to the correct size?

Thank you
Bill

Thank you
Bill
Re: Objects don't print the correct size..
May 08, 2015 11:46PM
You need to check your Z steps in configuration.h

An excellent link to get you started...
Triffid Hunters Calibration Guide

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2015 11:49PM by madmike8.
May 09, 2015 03:41AM
huntleybill
...Also, when I print something with a hole in it, the hole is never the size it should be. A 10mm hole will be 9.1 mm for example.

It seems, x/y is OK, Printing holes horizontally would cause the hole to become elliptic because z-axis steps is set too low.

If the hole is vertical and too small all the way round, you might play with the extruder retract value and speed.
Olaf
May 09, 2015 08:37AM
if your using m5 rod then its 0.8 pitch and using 1/16th microstepping is 4000 if your holes or ecliptic horizontal x/y then your x/y steps havent been calibrated correctly vertically id check layer height and 1st layer height plus if your extruding enough material holes have nothing to do with retracting values speeds, can be small perimeter speeds.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2015 06:12PM by chris33.

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
May 09, 2015 05:23PM
Wow...and I thought I was done with calibration but it looks like 'i have a lot to learn.
Thank you for your suggestions. Now I just have to figure out HOW to do the calibrations.
Back to google!!!

Thank you
Bill
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login