Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looking to buy a kit - Replikeo?

Posted by JamieSinn 
Looking to buy a kit - Replikeo?
May 04, 2015 10:20AM
I've been looking to get an i3, and I am interested in the Replikeo version;
[replikeo.com]

I'm currently a high school student, and I'm making a custom variant in Solidworks of the i3 for my performance task.

I was looking at the Aluminum/1.75mm variant. Would this be a good starter? I've got quite a bit of experience with 3D Printing, having one of the original Prusa's at my school, as well as I have also worked with the Stratasys printers at Javelin. (Partnership between my robotics team and them allows us to help out there and work in the summer)

Are there better kits out there to start with? Cheaper? Better quality?
Thanks!

Jamie
Re: Looking to buy a kit - Replikeo?
May 04, 2015 10:55AM
Where are you located?

If in the US, I recommend a Wilson TS kit.
If in Europe, a P3Steel kit.
May 06, 2015 11:15AM
I'm in Canada, oddly my post didn't work.
May 07, 2015 06:56PM
I would say that you should also get the Wilson TS kit. I have it and am very super happy with is sans two things:

1. I got the J-head hotend and I wish I would've gotten the e3d lite that he's now selling with the kit. Long story on why but happy to rehash if anyone is curious.
2. If you have a mac I would source my own MEGA board. The version he sent me used some weird chinese USB controller which doesn't have drivers in Mac. Well, there are drivers but they are not signed and you have to enable debuggable kernel extensions which I was not about to do.

In general if I knew what I was doing from the start I would've sourced everything but the hotend and the electronics from the kit.
May 08, 2015 12:36AM
JamieSinn
I'm in Canada, oddly my post didn't work.

Exactly what milkypostman wrote, with the E3D V6 Lite option. Contact Marty Rice and check postage rates to Canada, price and availability.
May 08, 2015 08:47AM
I also recommend the Wilson TS.
May 08, 2015 02:37PM
Why the suggestion of the Wilson over the Replikeo?

From what I can see the replikeo has more of a solid frame, though the extruded aluminum can be much more stable.

Also, how would cost compare?
May 08, 2015 05:22PM
for sure cost wise I think the replikeo is better. it's $300 with the aluminum and 1.75. However, I don't know what the quality of all the parts are; it says jhead but that could easily be a knock-off. It's unclear how good the motors are too. I also am not super fond of how the y-axis on the prusa connects. i mean, it looks like it's just a threaded rod with two nuts on each side. seems like it would be an ultra pain to get centered. i just don't see how the y is more solid on the prusa rework.

with that said, the wilson is a bit more expensive (450+shipping) but there are a few things you will know,

1. High torque motors from Automation Technology
2. An authentic hotend from e3d
3. Great support (if you have a problem marty will reply to you and give you some advice).

but mainly I'm a huge fan of extruded aluminum. It's great because I can easily add more things to the frame (including additional support) without having to drill into any aluminum. And, while i won't be doing it a ton, I can pick it up by the z frame sometimes without supporting the Y so it seems super sturdy. ymmv.

i think if you just want a printer then either would be fine. i like the expandability and support that I am seeing for the wilson though. and it fits all the rework parts so i'm pretty happy with it.
May 08, 2015 06:29PM
I'll definitely get a wilson then, anyone got a link to their favourite store? Or is there a specific person I should contact?
May 08, 2015 07:04PM
you should email him at mrice411 at gmail.com. tell him what you're looking for and he will either arrange something through paypal or ebay. alternatively you can also just search on ebay for one of the kits by searching for "wilson ts". It looks like there is one up there but the price is now $480 + shipping.

but you can also email and setup a particular tweak to the kit if you want and he will send you an invoice directly; this is what I did.

on a side note, part of the reason I am very positive about this kit is that when I got it i was amazed at how well it was put together. it's definitely overwhelming at first but the combination of the instructional videos on youtube and the paper documents, i was amazed how easy it was to follow. This was my first build and the printer worked great out the box.

one other thing, before you start building, watch the "Wilson TS Update 1" and "direct drive extruder" videos on YouTube. Because the newer kits are slightly different from the original instructional videos. then I suggest using the paper copy to collect your parts, and following the video to do the actual construction. The paper documents that it comes with are pretty good but mainly they outline the differences between the videos and the "current" kit that you have. I think it would hard to do the kit with just the paper instructions.
May 08, 2015 07:58PM
I second the Wilson TS from Marty. I just ran into a glitch, and he responded via email wishin minutes. Customer support goes far in my book, and his support seems to be excellent. I have heard others here waiting weeks for some of these kit companies to respond!
May 08, 2015 08:42PM
@AndrewBCN -- why did you second the Wilson rec. given your love of the p3steel? no kit?
May 08, 2015 08:52PM
milkypostman
@AndrewBCN -- why did you second the Wilson rec. given your love of the p3steel? no kit?
I'd guess shipping due to me being in Canada
May 09, 2015 06:42PM
Hello,

Just for information i.have bought this kit and lot of parts are crappy...

Not good diameter
Holes are not good sizze
Hotend and hot end bolt is really cheap chiness copy
Honestly built your one ( what i doing no) same peice arround, and less issue

hope this will help you
May 11, 2015 05:56PM
zemblar
Hello,

Just for information i.have bought this kit and lot of parts are crappy...

Not good diameter
Holes are not good sizze
Hotend and hot end bolt is really cheap chiness copy
Honestly built your one ( what i doing no) same peice arround, and less issue

hope this will help you
Thanks! Going with the Wilson TS !
May 11, 2015 09:31PM
Good choice! I started mine today. Got the Y-axis finished. I am following the videos. I watch a video one night, then follow along with the video the next day.
Just one note. Before you start, watch the update videos, as there are some slight differences from the original videos. Good luck and enjoy your build.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login