Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Folgertech Prussa I3 stepper motors only moving in one direction

Posted by vhoward1122 
Folgertech Prussa I3 stepper motors only moving in one direction
April 25, 2015 01:21AM
Hi,
This is my second issue with this printer. The first was a dead end stop that was preventing the arduino from connecting to my computer. It was actually killing the usb hub and the only way to make any usb devices work again was to reboot the computer. So I tried connecting just the arduino and was successful, then plugged the ramps 1.4 board onto the arduino board and again it connected. Then started hooking the other items and wires on and connecting untill I discovered the bad end stop. Folgertech ships an extra end stop in the kit, so I switched it out. Now everything is wired up and plugged in and working as far as I know. I was successful in uploading the firmware and config files that Folgertech provided. Started up Repetier Host and input the recommended settings that Folgertech suggested. Went to the manual control tab and I can get all of the stepper motors to move in one direction only. There isn't a setting that I found that makes a difference.

Any idea's where I should look for the problem?
Re: Folgertech Prussa I3 stepper motors only moving in one direction
April 25, 2015 01:35AM
Are you homing the axis first?
They typically only move in one direction until they know where the home position is and therefore how far they can move in each direction

Steve

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
April 25, 2015 01:48AM
Yes. They get to the end stop and they stop. Won't go the other direction.
April 25, 2015 09:48PM
Weird. For some reason the machine works fine today. Don't know what is different. Also the first problem involving the endstop was crossed wires in the connector that plugs into the endstop. They were supposed to be red-black--green, but they were actually in the connector red-green--black. I switched the wires and now the original endstop works.
May 11, 2015 07:28AM
That if funny I also experienced the exact same thing as you described found one end stop was plugged in wrong. Then again like you found that they would only move one direction. I noticed in repeater host that it was saying it was at the end stop Preventing it from moving
to save time I try everything software firmware still the same thing. Must be hardware. I found out that I had mixed up the end stop conectors on the ramps board. Easy fix once found.
Hope yours is still trouble free and just thought I would share my experience for you and others that my encounter this.

Good luck and happy printing
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login