Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New to 3D printing. 1st print clogged nozzle?

Posted by gleegum 
New to 3D printing. 1st print clogged nozzle?
April 16, 2015 03:46PM
Hi,
I'm new to the 3D printing world.
I bought a kit from here
After 3 days of assemby I got it working.

Now I just tried a test print and nothing comes from the hot end, it looks like it's clogged.
The filament motor keeps pushing the filament and then pushes out from it place the tube that contains the filament. I've taken some picture for better explain myself.

The hot end was 230ÂșC
Filament is PLA

Any help will be very much appreciated!!thumbs up
Re: New to 3D printing. 1st print clogged nozzle?
April 19, 2015 01:11AM
Hi
If no filament is coming out of the hot end how come its covered in black burnt stuff ?? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Just kidding

Right .....first things first
you need to use both bolts and springs on the extruder otherwise you stand a chance that the pressure roller bearing will not be running parallel to the extruder hobbed bolt - not good.

230 sounds very high for PLA ...I've never had to go above 205 and ive tried at least 5 different brands from around the world.
You probably need to take out your hotend and strip and clean it. While youre at it check the thermistor is properely located and fixed. Bad thermistor contact will mean low temp readings and your hotend will heat up much more than it needs to!.
Also check you have the correct thermistor set in your config files

Im not 100% sure of the type of extruder body you have but it looks like the retainer clip that holds the bowden tube has come out. See picture below. It is obviously critical that this end of the bowden tube is firmly secure in the extruder body

Based on your photos i would also separate the bowden tube from the cables that go to the X carriage/ hotend. Let the bowden tube find it own route which will often be the smoothest path to the hotend. As you have it in the pics the cable bundle are forcing the bowden tube to follow them.
It maybe a minor detail but important that the bowden tube provides as least resistance ( bends) as possible to the filament moving inside it

Good luck

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2015 01:17AM by bigfilsing.
April 19, 2015 01:58AM
Also you should probably grab a cable tie and anchor the cables at the print head to the print head.

This will take the stress away from the heater and the thermistor joints and mounts and make it less likely that the come out and cause any major problems.
April 19, 2015 06:49AM
Remove the tape from around the black part of the hot end.
This is supposed to keep the filament feed cool. If you have tape over it it will not cool and the filament will stick.
Its a good idea to have some air flow from a fan running over it as well.

If you need the tape to keep the thermister in place just wrap the tape around the heater block.

Gordon
April 21, 2015 03:57PM

Im not 100% sure of the type of extruder body you have but it looks like the retainer clip that holds the bowden tube has come out. See picture below. It is obviously critical that this end of the bowden tube is firmly secure in the extruder body

I see,
the instructions for assembly this part (in fact the whole video) was a piece of sh*t.
I didn't know that clip was for that.
reprap.cn is really bad quality parts.
April 21, 2015 09:47PM
gleegum

I see,
the instructions for assembly this part (in fact the whole video) was a piece of sh*t.
I didn't know that clip was for that.
reprap.cn is really bad quality parts.

Dont worry about that too much . As soon as you have your printer working you can print new parts and improve things
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login