Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Owner, Daunted!

Posted by LordNightwinter 
New Owner, Daunted!
March 28, 2015 11:11PM
So I just bought a Prusia Mendel i3XL from a friend of mine at a steal for $300. The catch is that it's incomplete. He stopped about the point of putting the belt on the extruder assembly. (Forgive me, newb to 3d Printing but not to IT.) Anyway I'm a little daunted on the instructions provided as they're in a terrible resolution. The wiring looks simple enough but I'm afraid to even start. Any tips for a first time builder?
Re: New Owner, Daunted!
March 29, 2015 05:05AM
Check the wiki or Google, there are various pointers to Prusa i3 assembly guides and blogs. There are even YouTube videos of Prusa i3 builds. Read, watch the videos, try to figure out a sequence of steps to finish your 3D printer. Then come back with more specific questions and take some pictures of the details you have doubts about. Then you'll surely get some proper advice.
March 29, 2015 09:40AM
Watch some videos! Great eases the angst and increases confidence.
March 29, 2015 09:13PM
So first problem, the belt for the extruder is too long. Am I supposed to trim it or did he put it together wrong somewhere?
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_2829.JPG (500.2 KB)
March 29, 2015 09:42PM
Check this page: [reprap.org]

Warning: do NOT cut or trim down the belt until after you are done assembling the whole printer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2015 09:44PM by AndrewBCN.
March 30, 2015 04:52PM
Alright so I have the top belt on now, I turn my unit over and I find this. In the instructions it says the belts just lay in there without any securing. Not sure how to proceed from here. Suggestions?
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_2833.JPG (459 KB)
open | download - IMG_2834.JPG (493.8 KB)
March 30, 2015 05:28PM
The previous one was called the belt for the X-axis. This is the belt for the Y-axis. Instructions for dealing with it are in the wiki, the very same link I pointed to you before.

Here is another guide: [www.trustfm.net]
March 30, 2015 07:49PM
LordNightwinter
Alright so I have the top belt on now, I turn my unit over and I find this. In the instructions it says the belts just lay in there without any securing. Not sure how to proceed from here. Suggestions?

I would loop them back on themselves and use small zip ties to hold then.

Steve

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
March 30, 2015 11:38PM
What I'm getting at is that the belt isn't long enough. I can't loop it back.
March 31, 2015 12:29AM
LordNightwinter
What I'm getting at is that the belt isn't long enough. I can't loop it back.

You should have enough length if you loop them through the slot in the bottom of the Y mount

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
March 31, 2015 06:39AM
Loop them through and zip them together maybe?
March 31, 2015 07:41PM
Alright, I got it assembled. I don't have anything to use as a tensioner but the belts are pretty tight. The instructions from DIY specifically lists a rubberband looking thing as a tensioner. Suggestions?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login