Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FT232 USB UART trouble Prusa i3

Posted by PyramID 
FT232 USB UART trouble Prusa i3
March 07, 2015 03:49AM
Hi,

I have a big problem :/ I can print for 3-4 month... I have RepRap Prusa i3 Mendel printer with Ardentissimo board... I printed in Win XP and 7 also... one time in Win 7 the Repetier Host just frosen, and I restart theprinter and the PC also...after that, the Win 7 can't find the FT232 USB UART driver (nowhere...) I tried to download FTDI drivers older and newer version nothing changed... I tried to print from my Win XP laptop...nothing changed... I have 2 board...I tried to change and after I tried both PC... Also the same problem...
When I connected for my friend pc's Win not work, but when we connected for LINUX it worked... BUT the 0pont never good... when the printer push the stopper button, theprinter want to go more distance.

I have absolutly no idea what can be the problem o.O
Can You help me? o.O

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2015 12:31PM by PyramID.
Re: FT232 USB UART trouble Prusa i3
March 07, 2015 09:57AM
You have two problems:

1) Windows XP ceased to work with the printer because of the USB serial driver.

2) You changed the controller board and now you have a problem with one of the endstops.

Each problem has its own separate solution.

1) Reinstall Windows XP with a proper driver, or install Linux on your PC.

2) Fix the faulty endstop: check wiring and/or change the endstop or the controller board.
March 11, 2015 09:39AM
PyramID
Hi,

I have a big problem :/ I can print for 3-4 month... I have RepRap Prusa i3 Mendel printer with Ardentissimo board... I printed in Win XP and 7 also... one time in Win 7 the Repetier Host just frosen, and I restart theprinter and the PC also...after that, the Win 7 can't find the FT232 USB UART driver (nowhere...) I tried to download FTDI drivers older and newer version nothing changed... I tried to print from my Win XP laptop...nothing changed... I have 2 board...I tried to change and after I tried both PC... Also the same problem...
When I connected for my friend pc's Win not work, but when we connected for LINUX it worked... BUT the 0pont never good... when the printer push the stopper button, theprinter want to go more distance.

I have absolutly no idea what can be the problem o.O
Can You help me? o.O

Most likely is you have a board that has a fake FTDI chip and a Win7 update has bricked it.
Its a well known and well documented issue
Happens predominantly with Arduino copies and is not unique to the 3D printing world . Many in the remote control hobby world have the same issue

you can read up on the issue Here > [www.eevblog.com] & Here > [www.zdnet.com]
March 11, 2015 10:21AM
Thx for your help!

But this said the problem is exists in Windows... Linux should work... ://
Have you any idea how can I fix this problem. (in Windows or Linux)
March 11, 2015 12:05PM
PyramID
Thx for your help!

use google...there's afew possible solutions around like this one >>[www.youtube.com]
March 11, 2015 09:04PM
bigfilsing
PyramID
Thx for your help!

use google...there's afew possible solutions around like this one >>[www.youtube.com]

+1

Very good tutorial. thumbs up
March 21, 2015 09:08AM
I had the FTDI USB 'FTDIgate' knock out the serial chip on my Prusa i3 fitted with a Melzi 2.0 board. The board was from DX.com and has a clone FTDI USB-to-serial chip. I thought I needed to buy a new board or replace the chip until I stumbled on the EEVBlog info.

If anyone suspects they had their clone FTDI chip bricked by the October 2014 Windows 7 driver update then the fastest way to confirm it is to find the USB dvice in WIndows control panel and check the PID number in it properties. If it's 0 then it's been bricked, but can be recovered if you have access to an older Win XP machine.

I followed one of the many instructions on the web to use the FDTI config tool and reset the PID back to the right value. After that don't use the October FTDI driver on your WIn 7 machine...

Martin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login