Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wilson TS Build

Posted by bassnfool 
Wilson TS Build
March 06, 2015 11:13AM
I noticed the change in the grouping of the forums... Since the Wilson TS is a Prusa I3 variant it makes more sense here than where I had originally posted. So...

I'm building a Wilson TS.

A full kit is offered by mjrice on ebay for $480 with $20 shipping in the usa. Mine just shipped.

Highlights of this kit
All the parts you need are included
No soldering required! The hot end, heat bed, end stops, stepper motors, and even the fans are all prewired for you and plug-in ready.
No cutting of rods or beams required.
All high quality components, clearly labelled and carefully packed.
Arduino controller comes pre-programmed with Marlin 3D printer firmware for the Wilson printer configuration.
Assembly videos on youtube
What's Included
Complete set of printed plastic parts for the Wilson TS (see photo for color)
Set of 6 precision aluminum extrusions with black matte anodized finish, metric 2020 profile, precut
Set of 6 hardened chrome-finished steel rods, 8mm profile, precut
Five High torque (76 oz-inch) NEMA17 stepper motors
Authentic J-Head hot end by Reifsnyder Precision Works – completely assembled and ready to use (for use with 1.75mm filament)
12V, 30A switching power supply, along with professionally assembled line cord and RAMPS connector assembly.
All electronics, including Arduino Mega, RAMPS 1.4, and A4988 stepper motor drivers.
SMART LCD controller with SD card interface and 4GB memory card.
MK2a heat bed, completely wired up and ready for use, along with the MDF mounting sheet and glass.
Metric 5mm threaded rods
All metric fasteners, nuts & bolts, springs, and bearings (see detailed list below)
Set of 52 t-slot nuts for frame assembly
12 LM8UU linear bearings
End stops, pre-wired and ready to plug in
MK7 stainless steel extruder drive gear
GT2 timing belt and aluminum 20-tooth pulleys
More!

I chose this kit vs other i3 variations for the following reasons:

1. The components seem top notch, for example the high torque nema steppers & genuine j-head
2. I did not want to go with the Plexiglas frame... the extruded aluminum makes adding accessories or making changes easy so that eliminated any price advantage for the Replikeo.
3. No customs or other ship from china hassles ( maybe more imagined than real :-) ).
4. The fantastic build videos from the designer
5. I like the extruded aluminum rather than the threaded rods.
6. Maybe should be #1... read great reviews from other builders on these forums.

I'll update with my experiences.

BassNFool

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2015 11:18AM by bassnfool.
Re: Wilson TS Build
March 06, 2015 11:16AM
I purchased a complete kit from mjrice, the designer of the wilson ts. I bought it on Feb 28 for $480 + $21 for shipping. It shipped the next day. It arrived at my house on Wednesday, March 4th. Can't complain about that!

The kit was well packaged. Well documented. It had everything it was supposed to have and nothing was damaged ( oops, one endstop is broken). The plastic parts are better than I expected based on pictures from other kits. I hope i can get prints this good!

Got the electronics installed and tested! One broken endstop :-( the lever arm fulcrum ( small bump ) appeared to have sheared off. I am asking the kit producer for a replacement.

On a more positive note...

The build videos were so complete i only used the included written build instructions one time so far. All the axis move and move in the correct direction. The LCD controller works fine. The extruder turns and hot end heats. The heat bead works and the thermister seems to work.

Other than the endstop, i'm ready to start tuning :-)

No prints yet...

Great Kit!

At this point couldn't be more happy with my experience!

More to come. :-)

BassNFool

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2015 11:20AM by bassnfool.
March 06, 2015 05:24PM
Congrats on your choice of 3D printer kit. Marty is a great designer and I am sure the quality of his kits are top notch. Please post a few pictures of your build if you have the time.

BTW there is only one thing I would ask Marty to change in the kit as you have described it above: personally, I am against the use of cheap LED strip PSUs, I strongly recommend a good quality ATX PSU, in the US these are available from Newegg with free shipping for somewhere around $35~$40 (in the US Corsair would be my favorite, here in Europe, be quiet!, a German brand).

See: [reprap.org]
March 06, 2015 06:34PM
Very nice. How long have you spent on the build? Doesn't seem like it was bad at all.
Keep us updated.
March 06, 2015 08:18PM
First print!!! See attached...
Attachments:
open | download - P_20150306_195813.jpg (537.5 KB)
March 06, 2015 08:29PM
thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2015 08:29PM by Michaelj.
March 07, 2015 05:37PM
The build went very fast... maybe 10 hours. My prints came out very nice. Unfortunately, i think i blew a mosfet... my hotend starts heating up as soon as the printer is plugged in and soon exceeds the heat limits. I'm doa until i fix it. I'm going to post a request for help on a more general forum.

Bassnfool
March 08, 2015 04:56PM
I want to rave about how great Marty's (mjrice) customer service is. I blew a the MOSFET for D10 which controls power to the hot end. The result was a runaway hot end. I contacted him for advice and asked about buying a replacement ramps. Marty offered to replace my ramps board no charge. WOW. If you are looking for a kit... Look no further.
March 12, 2015 05:01PM
Back up and running thanks to Marty Rice! Prints look great!
March 12, 2015 05:36PM
Pics and a video, please! hot smiley
March 12, 2015 08:20PM
Picture attached...
Attachments:
open | download - 5509 (256.2 KB)
March 12, 2015 10:27PM
smileys with beer
bassnfool
Picture attached...
March 12, 2015 11:56PM
Nice! thumbs up
March 13, 2015 10:45PM
Video...My Wilson ts:

[youtu.be]
March 16, 2015 08:14AM
Bassnfool, your video isn't working.
March 16, 2015 10:02AM
Sorry, that is my first YouTube video... Had to set the permissions to public. Try it now! :-)
March 16, 2015 11:26AM
A little bit short and you have to configure white balance, but nice all the same. What speed are you moving at? That seemed quite fast!
March 16, 2015 01:29PM
bassnfool
Sorry, that is my first YouTube video... Had to set the permissions to public. Try it now! :-)

Nice...I think I am going to go with the wilson ts. I am going to wait until after I go to the 3D show in NYC in April and then order it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2015 01:29PM by Michaelj.
March 18, 2015 04:08PM
I am absolutely loving this printer!

I have printed 2 phone holders and 4 kitchen drawer rail brackets ( as well as several prototypes )! I should have done this years ago!

For those people looking for a kit, I can't recommend this enough. One thing made my life much easier... Marty preloaded the firmware for the Wilson ts,. after reading so many issues people have configuring marlin, this is one I have really come to appreciate!

Bassnfool
Attachments:
open | download - acc%3D2%3Bdoc%3D20 (141.8 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login