Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Droxy build

Posted by Rob4666 
Droxy build
May 05, 2018 02:00PM
Hello all. I'm new to 3d printing and new to the forum. I'm almost ready to complete a printer build which I got from Thingieverse. It's called "Droxy" and I have a few questions. First, I'm using a MKS Gen-L v1.0 control board. It only has one Zed connection and I will be running two Zed steppers. I'm pushing five Nena 17's with a 12v power supply and running a Raspberry Pi independently with its own power supply.
1) As a newbie to 3d printing, is it better to run both Zed steppers on one driver with a parallel dual connection module or is it best to tinker with the firmware and switch one of the extruder connections to run one of the Zed steppers?
2) If I run the Zed steppers on the parallel module connection, will my bed leveling proximity sensor work as it should?
Thanks in advance for all advice on this.
Attachments:
open | download - Droxy1.jpg (324.4 KB)
open | download - Droxy2.jpg (468.2 KB)
open | download - Dual Z connection.jpg (288.8 KB)
Re: Droxy build
May 05, 2018 03:36PM
I had a printer with two z axis motors and set them up in parallel. Works fine as long as they stay in sinc. I modified my printer to one z axis motor and a belt. Works much better.
I don't understand why you are worried about your proximity sensor. How might it be effected?
May 05, 2018 05:32PM
Well, does the proximity sensor for bed leveling once active control each Z stepper independently to level the bed? I'm new to this stuff so I'm not really sure how it works.
Thanks for your reply.
May 06, 2018 03:10AM
Both Z steppers always have to turn synchronously, even with active bed leveling.
Running them with the parallel adapter requires a powerful stepper driver and/or two low current steppers.
May 06, 2018 03:42AM
o_lampe
Both Z steppers always have to turn synchronously, even with active bed leveling.
Running them with the parallel adapter requires a powerful stepper driver and/or two low current steppers.

Bed leveling (as opposed to bed compensation) drives the multiple Z motors independently to level the bed prior to starting a print. Bed compensation during a print drives them synchronously.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 06, 2018 09:04AM
I have not seen a controller that operates two z axis motors separately. What controller are you using?
May 06, 2018 09:34AM
So as long as the Z steppers are connected to the parallel module, they will never work independently of each other even prior to the print. Since they are connected in parallel, once a signal goes out, it goes to both steppers at the same time.
Please see forgive my ignorance on this.
Thanks for the info.
May 06, 2018 09:40AM
cwaa,
I'm using a Lerdge dual Z stepper module which is used on the Lerdge control boards. I'm going to use it on a MKS control board. It's not a controller. It just allows you to connect two Zeds to one driver.
May 06, 2018 01:09PM
There are two methods of bed leveling.
1. Independent Z motors to level X axis plus separate motor to level y axis. This is not the method used by most firmware.
2. Don't level the bed, measure error and compensate for it in software. This should be called bed compensation rather than bed leveling.
This is the method most often used as it does not require separate motors but requires bed to be setup as close to level to start.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login