Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heat insulation

Posted by 0xDeadbeef 
Heat insulation
March 17, 2018 10:39AM
I'm currently desingning a 3D printer and I wonder how do i make sure that the hotend is properly insulated from the rest of the head. How is it solved in other printers? I was thinking about using fiberglass on the part of the head where the hotend will contact it.
Re: Heat insulation
March 17, 2018 11:09AM
Often a silicone sleave is used to prevent excessive heat emission to other parts of the printhead

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
March 25, 2018 08:55AM
0xDeadbeef
I'm currently desingning a 3D printer and I wonder how do i make sure that the hotend is properly insulated from the rest of the head. How is it solved in other printers? I was thinking about using fiberglass on the part of the head where the hotend will contact it.

Most hot ends consist of two parts - a hot end and a cold end. Confusingly, they are almost invariably called "hot ends" as a collective term for both the hot part and the cold part. The hot part is a heat block, usually made of brass or some other metal that conducts heat well and to which is fitted a heating cartridge. The cold end is usually a heat sink, made from stainless steel or similar metal which does not conduct heat well and which has an integral heat break (generally just a thin wall section) and usually a cooling fan blowing cold air over it but liquid cooling can also be employed.

[somei3deas.wordpress.com]
[www.youtube.com]
March 25, 2018 09:08AM
It seems i might have misunderstood the question. In my Merlin Hotend PEEK is used as the insulator and heatspreader.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login