Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No power to 3d printer please help

Posted by Boz2306 
No power to 3d printer please help
March 05, 2018 11:22AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum and 3d printing. I recently bought a replica pursa i3 and assembled it correctly (I thought), when I first switched it on it immediately blew the fuse in the power switch. I then used a new power supply and wired everything correctly with a new 8amp 20mm glass fuse, now the lcd will light up but only when the usb is connected, I can heat the bed up with the options on the usb but I can't get any power at all using the plug socket, when I do plug it in and switch it on I get a green light on the power supply and audrino board but nothing powers up. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Re: No power to 3d printer please help
March 05, 2018 01:48PM
Also the lcd screen says ready when plugged into the usb but still no power at all to the fans/motors ect.. any help or advice would be very much appreciated
March 05, 2018 02:00PM
My guess is you have blown the 5v power regulator on the arduino mega. Lots of threads on this topic (you might also search for 'ive put my endstop on backwards and blew up my arduino')

The usb is powering up the 5v side, but the ramps/powersupply input side cannot.

Check the polarity of your endstop plugs.

Replace the power regulator part, or the arduino board.
March 05, 2018 02:36PM
Thanks for the reply, I'll look into those threads now. If however I need to replace the control board can I buy any or does it have to be the exact one that come with the printer?
March 05, 2018 02:46PM
you did not say what you have.

If its an all in one board, you could replace it, or get a RAMPS 1.4 (or 1.5) setup.
Might depend on if you can get a replacement exact board or not.

If its already a RAMPS dual board stack, you just need to replace the Mega board (with the processor and usb connector on it).
Look for a small rectangle with 3 legs, if it looks burned, you probably overloaded it. Mine smelled real bad when the smoke came out.
Should be pictures in some of the other threads on the internet. Check for a youtube video on fixing it too, I think there are some.

If its the regulator, thats a $1.50 part, plus solder, and about 10 minutes of effort if you know how to solder (or know someone who can solder).

Good Luck.
March 05, 2018 02:59PM
This is my adruino, I'll have a look for any damage but I am very new to all this, thanks for the advice
Attachments:
open | download - Optimized-IMG_20180305_195444013.jpg (365.4 KB)
March 05, 2018 03:11PM
Here is a closer image of my control board, I think I've located the 3 pin rectangle but can't really see any damage
Attachments:
open | download - rsz_img_20180305_200444195.jpg (496.3 KB)
March 05, 2018 04:37PM
Thats a GT2560 controller

Check the fuses on the board (two white things in sockets, top of your last picture)
March 05, 2018 04:49PM
Wow, I didn't even know they were there, I'll check them for damage, thanks
March 05, 2018 05:47PM
Dust
Thats a GT2560 controller

Check the fuses on the board (two white things in sockets, top of your last picture)
. I've checked those fuses but in all honesty I wouldn't know if there was any damage, both are white with gold edges so I can't see any obvious signs of a blown Fuse, do you know if it's worth changing those?
March 05, 2018 06:05PM
Got a multi meter?

Just check for continuity from the gold to the gold. (while board is off and preferably unplugged (to make sure it really off) )
March 05, 2018 06:07PM
I'm off to buy one tomorrow morning before I order a new board or Fuses.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login