Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RAMPS 1.4 and Quimat Nema17 stepper motors pinout concerns

Posted by Rossos 
RAMPS 1.4 and Quimat Nema17 stepper motors pinout concerns
March 01, 2018 11:18AM
Hello All!
Long time lurker here, and this is my first post.

So here are my concerns/issues/question (I don't know what to call it, plz halp?)

I am building a DIY 3D printer loosely following an Instructables guide.
Current stage is connecting hardware electronics.

The confusion at this moment in time is how to properly connect Quimat Nema17 Stepper motors 17HD48002H-22B (link: Amazon.de) with RAMPS 1.4 and A4988 stepper drivers.

The pinout order on RAMPS goes as 2B, 2A, 1A, 1B.
The pinout order on the StepperMotors Dupont connector is Black,Green,Red,Blue.
The seller answered a question about the pinout with "Standardbelegung A = schwarz, A- = grĂ¼n, B = rot , B- = blau" (Black,Green,Red,Blue)
For some reason I have the feeling that the pinouts on RAMPS and the stepper motor Dupont connector do not match.

Searching in google images showed me different versions of color wires connected to RAMPS.
Version A:
2B - blue
2A - red
1A - green
1B - black

Version B:
2B - black
2A - green
1A - blue
1B - red

Version C:
2B - red
2A - blue
1A - green
1B - black

If anyone came across similar thing, or have any insight, please share the information with me.

Best regards,

Rossos

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 11:40AM by Rossos.
Re: RAMPS 1.4 and Quimat Nema17 stepper motors pinout concerns
March 01, 2018 12:32PM
Wire colours will vary by manufacturer.

You can reverse the pairs, and the stepper motor will continue to work. Therefore it only matters that the A and B lines are correct. I believe that this is the reason that the RAMPS pinout goes BAAB, so that you get the correct A/B polarity regardless of connector orientation. I don't remember if it reverses the direction of the motors offhand. I suppose that I could experiment to figure it out, since the connectors on my motors isn't keyed, and therefore I could easily enough reverse them on the RAMPS board. I didn't bother, since I got expected operation every time I've assembled it, even when I swapped out my X axis motor with one that had completely different wire colours.

I think that I read somewhere that you will get the same motor direction regardless, and that swapping the A and B pins will reverse direction, (IE, making the motor wire harness 1A, 1B, 2B, 2A, instead of 1B, 1A, 2A, 2B )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 12:33PM by SupraGuy.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
March 01, 2018 02:09PM
Thank you for your answer!

Following your example of motor wire harness reverse I checked my examples again.
I realized that Version B and Version C are identical in reverse order.
Furthermore, the Version A and Version C have the first pair 2B&2A reversed and the pair 1A&1B intact.

You are absolutely right about manufacturers retain the right to use different colors, but the patterns got me thinking.
If stepper motors do not have polarity, then just maintaining the pair should be enough.
As I said, the seller of my stepper motors did answer about the color-coding, although my seller used A & A- and B & B- terms, I suspect the seller meant that A & A- (Black&Green) are the pair 1A&1B, and B & B- (Red&Blue) are the pair 2B&2A.

Could this be the case?
March 01, 2018 03:01PM
It would make sense to me that the black/green and red/blue are the pairs, given the designations. There is no electrical contact between pairs though, so it should be a simple enough matter to put an ohmmeter across 2 wires. If there is continuity, then they are from the same pair. If there is no continuity, then they are different pairs.

I do recall reading though that the motors are quite resistant to incorrect wiring, with about the worst case being that you get no motion/activity from an incorrectly wired motor. (Unipolar motors with 6 wires are a little easier to have bad things happening.)

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
March 02, 2018 10:28AM
SupraGuy
it should be a simple enough matter to put an ohmmeter across 2 wires. If there is continuity, then they are from the same pair. If there is no continuity, then they are different pairs.

Great suggestion!

I did check continuity with ohmmeter and found that my pairs are indeed Black/Green and Red/Blue.
Both pairs were giving me 2.5Ohm (just for information).

Thank you!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login