Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kossel print "lurches"

Posted by dlc60 
Kossel print "lurches"
February 28, 2018 11:59PM
I have a DIY "micro" kossel that has worked fine for many months. To get more Z height, I put a new end effector on it. Did all the usual tuning, Z height setting et. al. I replaced a simple "hang below" Kossel effector with an FLSun one that I fixed in place because I don't care for the "auto" cal thing it did. It's size and complexity were perfect for this application. My first few prints were just fine, a little scale tuning and things looked great.

Then, "something" happened.

Now when I print to it, it "lurches". The print head acts like it is catching on something and lurching to catch up. It will travel at one speed for a second, then much faster, then slow down, then more of the same. Sometimes the filament comes out faster, sometimes not much. I am getting thin spots, globby spots. When I print from stuff that I have on the SD card, I get the thin/thick problem, but not so much the speed-up, slow down. It seems like something has dorked all of the stepper actions - But the firmware and hardware are unchanged. It could be that the stuff on the SD card being smaller than what I tried to print, didn't cause the motion issues. But, I am clueless here.

This printer worked great until I changed the end effector. What terrible thing could I have done to cause this? Has anyone seen this kind of thing before and corrected it? I look forward to adding to my knowledge, because I am without a clue what to do next.

Many thanks,
DLC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 12:02AM by dlc60.
Re: Kossel print "lurches"
March 01, 2018 02:44AM
The grub screw of the filament drive gear might have come loose? That would cause uneven extrusion, which leads to the nozzle dragging through blobs. Your hole printer-mechanic accumulates the dragging force until the nozzle is free and the effector jumps forward.
Re: Kossel print "lurches"
March 01, 2018 03:14AM
o_lampe
The grub screw of the filament drive gear might have come loose? That would cause uneven extrusion, which leads to the nozzle dragging through blobs. Your hole printer-mechanic accumulates the dragging force until the nozzle is free and the effector jumps forward.

Good thought, I have seen that one before, and it was a puzzle. This time the slow-fast... movement is happening on the first layer before anything has been put down yet.

thanks,
DLC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login