Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3D Touch Sensor coil broken

Posted by 3DS-QUAD 
3D Touch Sensor coil broken
December 22, 2017 10:59PM

I have a 3d touch from china, every now amd again it would not trigger crashing my nozzle. then i would unplug it and it would be okay
just decided to open it and solder new wires without dupont connectors. there is a coil under yellow tape with a broken wire.
there's no access to the wire without removing this tape.

It looks like I'll need to remove the tape, reduce the number of turns by one and resoldering. If I built a new coil are the exact number of coil turns essential to it's operation.
I may integrate the sensor into a cooling fan to reduce size. in the future.

update I have no choice but to uncoil as the other end of the coil is at the start

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2017 12:12AM by 3DS-QUAD.
Re: 3D Touch Sensor coil broken
December 23, 2017 07:51AM
The number of turns is important but not vital. By removing only one wrap to reconnect should not cause a problem.
You could even solder extension wires using shrink tubing to cover the soldered connection.

However by completely re-wrapping the coil you will need to have some coil wrapping experience. You will need to stay close to the original coils parameters as not to pull too much current.
You should count the number of turns you unwrap, and re-wrap evenly to be able to get the needed number of turns back on the coil.
December 23, 2017 09:28AM
There's no way I can access to extend it without unravelling the entire coil. I've never coiled anything ever
I'm going to unwrap it later today, it is really delicate wire maybe 0.1mm only way I can see is to unwrap loose and count when I pass a point
might be worth testing with a thicker gauge see how it responds. I will post how many turns I count.
December 23, 2017 10:38AM
Good everyone need to at least give it a try.
Here are some basics Wire Size, Inductance, wire length, number of turns , number on layers and resistance of coil.

Using this Multilayer coil inductance calculator will give you a better chance of success.
[coil32.net]

If you are going to reuse the wire wrap in around something as you unwrap it to keep it from getting tangled.
Ask the Forum if someone can measure the resistance of theirs this will give you a starting place.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2017 10:44AM by Roberts_Clif.
December 23, 2017 08:29PM
they seem to be selling the coils on ebay.
December 24, 2017 09:07AM
MechaBits
they seem to be selling the coils on ebay.

Could not find any.
December 25, 2017 04:34PM
I made a complete mess of removing the coil, I ordered another sensor from aliexpress. I've got a piezo kit but I'm saving that for a second printer.
The 3dtouch case has no way to remove a coil in one piece, replaceable coils would be a nice feature.

trying to wrap a coil by hand is a nightmare. crossover poor tension and uneven spacing. also I don't know how many turns
If I could design a jig I do have a good chance of repair. is it possible to test resistance of these coils in circuit.
so far I put new silicone wires on. I did put pin header on the coil solder points but removed them as
I think the currents are so small that bulky wires etc wont work.

with my poorly wrapped coil I have pin engage and retract then straight to flashing red alarm.
December 25, 2017 05:07PM
Maybe this isnt the same(vib'), but there where few i saw
[www.ebay.co.uk]
or maybe 2 piezo disks on old drum?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login