Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best Chemical to Clean Hairspray off Glass Bed?

Posted by GaM3r2Xtreme 
Best Chemical to Clean Hairspray off Glass Bed?
December 02, 2017 07:07AM
Hi everyone,

For the past few years, I've been cleaning my bed with Windex after prints. This has worked pretty good, but doesn't seem to get it all off and leaves a rough gritty feel. I'm sure there has to be some better alternative over a soapy water solution. Any thoughts on a better spray to use?

On a side note, I've noticed using dish soap works wonders on deep cleaning the glass. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to dilute some in water and spray that stuff instead.
Re: Best Chemical to Clean Hairspray off Glass Bed?
December 02, 2017 08:39AM
I don't directly use hair spray but 3DLac spray, and what every I try Glassex window cleaner works the the best, because it will it self not leave any residual.

It seem to be the same thing as your Windex.

P3steel DXL, with Due/RADDS/Raps128 dual Wade's extruder
December 02, 2017 04:32PM
I use acetone when the build-up of hairspray gets too messy - leaves a squeaky-clean finish.

Wear gloves though! It's a bit harsh as it will remove all the natural oils from your skin.
December 03, 2017 11:55PM
I use glass cleaner with hair spray and don't have any issues getting it squeaky clean. The stuff I use is in a can and foams up. Can be bought at any hardware/automotive store.
December 19, 2017 10:01AM
I've always just used good old dihydrogen monoxide. I take the glass to the sink and run it under the hot tap. Hairspray dissolves easily enough, so unless there's ABS residue stuck to the glass, that's always been enough to get the job done. The trickiest part is getting it dry afterwards, but a paper towel or two usually does a perfectly adequate job. Maybe once in a while a drop of dish soap, but then careful rinsing off after. I think that any soap residue would probably have undesireable consequences for print adhesion.

Of course if I'm using ABS/acetone slurry, then I need to use acetone to clean it.

MBot3D Printer
MakerBot clone Kit from Amazon
Added heated bed.

Leadscrew self-built printer (in progress)
Duet Wifi, Precision Piezo parts
kr_
January 07, 2018 06:17AM
I'm printing with materials that don't require to put any chemical for adhesion on glass, like PLA or Filaflex. I only heat it up and print with a 4 mm skirt for some parts.
January 07, 2018 11:11AM
SupraGuy
I've always just used good old dihydrogen monoxide. I take the glass to the sink and run it under the hot tap. Hairspray dissolves easily enough, so unless there's ABS residue stuck to the glass, that's always been enough to get the job done. The trickiest part is getting it dry afterwards, but a paper towel or two usually does a perfectly adequate job. Maybe once in a while a drop of dish soap, but then careful rinsing off after. I think that any soap residue would probably have undesireable consequences for print adhesion.

Of course if I'm using ABS/acetone slurry, then I need to use acetone to clean it.

Yup, me too. Hot water and a sponge gets hairspray, gluestick, tape residue, all of it off just fine.

DLC
January 07, 2018 12:33PM
kr_
I'm printing with materials that don't require to put any chemical for adhesion on glass, like PLA or Filaflex. I only heat it up and print with a 4 mm skirt for some parts.

Me too. I wipe the glass with a paper towel moistened with vinegar before each print, and I just use a 3 perimeter skirt to get the filament flowing well.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 07, 2018 02:42PM
I too use 3D Lac rather than hairspray and usually I don't bother with anything - just another quick squirt before the next print. Obviously, it can build up so from time to time it is necessary to give the glass a clean. One thing that works well for me is a really sharp wide chisel or gasket scraper (must be really sharp). Otherwise Acetone and paper towel works, but it's more messy.
January 13, 2018 02:01AM
Since most hairsprays are alcohol based, I use Isopropyl Alcohol on a cotton ball--the big cotton balls for make-up removal are cheap in a huge bag.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login