Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Support and motion for huge 100x60 mic8 bed

Posted by SplatHammer 
Support and motion for huge 100x60 mic8 bed
November 19, 2017 06:12AM
I am designing a really big printer for my business. The bed is going to be a 100cm x 60 cm chunk of 8mm aluminium which will be the Z axis. I am currently deciding how to
support and move it. I am thinking of 2 x 20 mm linear rails and 2 x 16 mm ball screws or possibly just using 3 x 16 mm ball screws and no other means of support and guidance.
By linear rails I mean the square ones with the re-circulating ball carriages. Or would round guides be better?
Any advice would be most welcome!
Re: Support and motion for huge 100x60 mic8 bed
November 19, 2017 08:26AM
Screws are not guides. Using screws without guides is asking for Z-wobble in the prints. If you don't mind z-wobble, it should be OK.

No other means of support? Will the bed be heated?

Linear guides, if used fully-supported (screwed to frame members or plates), are almost always better than end-supported round guide rails, but they are less forgiving of errors in parallelism.

For a plate that size 2 screws might work, but 3 is better.

Don't even think about using 20x20 or 25x25 mm t-slot for the frame. Start at 40x40 and go up from there.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 19, 2017 09:35AM
Thanks Dentist!

I figured that 2 or 3 screws with 2 linear rails in the middle of the short sides would be best. I dont want to over do the rails and wind up over constrained. What do you think would be best with 3
screws, 2 or 3 rails I could always have 2 screws and 1 rail on one side and 2 rails with 1 screw on the other side?

The bed is going to be heated, I am printing PETG. It will be insulated with cork on the bottom. I am planning on using 230VAC heaters

For the frame I plan on using 60x20 or 80 x 20 for the frame and either 20x20 or 20x40 for the Y axis.

I am thinking of using 12mm MGN for the X axis and 20mm HGW for the Y axis and bed.

I actually only need about 3cm of build height for my business stuff, but will design for 500mm ball screws so I can use it for other stuff as well.
November 19, 2017 03:04PM
Why would you want to move the bed instead of the extruder/hotend?
November 19, 2017 05:45PM
etfrench
Why would you want to move the bed instead of the extruder/hotend?

The bed is moving in Z. Arguably an easier feat to do then moving an XY gantry in Z.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login