Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

pillow bearings to reduce load on Prusa?

Posted by cfry999 
pillow bearings to reduce load on Prusa?
September 15, 2017 01:11PM
Question about these Z top pillow bearings that came with my new leadscrews. [www.amazon.com]

It seems like they're designed to grip the leadscrew at the top to take some of the load off of the compression coupler and stepper motor. Is this correct? Anyone have any experience with this? Does it also cause binding and friction during the z travel?
Re: pillow bearings to reduce load on Prusa?
September 15, 2017 03:09PM
I think you will find they are a slide fit onto the 8mm leadscrews and just apply a lateral guide to the top of the leadscrew,
September 15, 2017 03:44PM
Yeah, they have 2 allen screws in them, and I read somewhere that there's no point in using compression couplers to minimize vibrations if the couplers are already fully compressed by the weight of the X carriage. So I'm wondering if anyone has used those screws to take that weight off. Because I've also read that fixing the top of the leadscrews for alignment is a bad idea.
September 16, 2017 02:51AM
Top bearings were a bad idea with wobbling metric lead screws, but with machined lead screws it's no problem.

I've put a 4.5mm steelball between the stepper shaft and the leadscrew. Now the ( ever changing ) weight of the X-carriage rests on the stepper bearings and does not compress the coupler. Due to the ball, it can still bend.
September 16, 2017 12:52PM
Interesting. But wouldn't the steel ball still allow vibrations to transfer up the leadscrew to the printhead? I thought the compression couplers were also intended to reduce vibrations?
September 17, 2017 02:39AM
If there are any vibrations I haven't noticed them yet. They'd occur only when the z-motors are running: at layer change and maybe during retractions with z-lift. So what?
I'd trade them in against varying compression of the couplers anytime.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login