Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

which way do you install the heat break?

Posted by dlc60 
which way do you install the heat break?
August 15, 2017 12:06PM
I know that sounds like an odd question...
I replaced the heat break on a four year old hot end because it was damaged. I got a bunch of 30mm standard heat breaks with PTFE liners to do this and it worked great. Until one day when I replaced a spool of filament and pulled the liner out with it, which jammed it into the extruder gear, which chewed the liner up.
So.
When installing a heat break that has a PTFE liner its full length, do you install with the end you insert the liner facing down or facing up? Down seems safe because it will but up against the nozzle, or heater block stop. Up, I have already discovered, runs the risk of the filament pulling the liner out and jamming it into the extruder gear, which ruins it.

Am I correct in assuming then that the heat break needs to be installed such that the end you insert the PTFE liner in faces down, towards the nozzle?

Thanks,
DLC
Re: which way do you install the heat break?
August 15, 2017 04:34PM
PTFE goes UP. The end with the shorter thread goes into the heater block, the longer thread goes into the heatsink.

The heatsink should have a small (2mm for 1.75mm filament) hole in the top, so that the PTFE liner can't come out. If it doesn't, I guess you have a hot-end designed for a Bowden connector, which would prevent the PTFE from being pulled out.
Re: which way do you install the heat break?
August 15, 2017 04:50PM
The hot end is a constant threaded one with no gap in the threads. The hot end is one of those that have the hot end combined with the extruder and the stepper behind it all. It is for a Cartesian printer. It is about as direct as it gets. There is nothing in there to prevent the tube liner from being pulled out with the filament.

DLC
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login