Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reprap Prusa i3 V2 Extruder Upgrade E3D Titan

Posted by dev0drps 
Reprap Prusa i3 V2 Extruder Upgrade E3D Titan
August 05, 2017 09:18PM
Hello Compadres,

I have a Reprap Prusa i3 V2 with original extruder (I think it's the MK2). I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the E3D Titan extruder Prusa kit upgrade. My question is, do I need to change anything in my firmware to get this to work? I read that there is a firmware upgrade but I'm not sure if it pertains to the model I have. I am using the RAMPS board with the Arduino Mega. The hardware install looks fairly straight forward but I am curious about the firmware changes.

I would like to hear from people who have upgraded to this or any recommendations for upgrades to this model printer I am using.

Regards,
DM
Re: Reprap Prusa i3 V2 Extruder Upgrade E3D Titan
August 07, 2017 12:17PM
You'd have to recalibrate your firmware with a different steps/mm for the extruder and possibly change the direction pin for the extruder motor.
August 08, 2017 09:49PM
PDBeal,

Thanks for the info. I will google for the exact changes. I didn't even thing about the direct of the motor. Much appreciated.
August 09, 2017 09:16AM
PDBEAL is correct. I installed the Titan extruder on my Pursa. It took a bit of time to calibrate the steps of the stepper motor to get exactly what lenght of filament out I expected. I also had to do some work to get it to mount properly on my x carriage. I am very happy with the results I'm using a smaller Nema 17 that is much lighter than the original and it really prints nicely and more consistent than before.
August 09, 2017 01:17PM
BuildAThing,

How do you get the measurements correct. Is there a calibration guide that I can use? I have a pair of calipers that I recently just bought I'm guessing that I will need to measure out some filament, but is there an equation of a guide to get the right steps? Can you point me in the right direction?
August 09, 2017 04:18PM
dev0drps
BuildAThing,

How do you get the measurements correct. Is there a calibration guide that I can use? I have a pair of calipers that I recently just bought I'm guessing that I will need to measure out some filament, but is there an equation of a guide to get the right steps? Can you point me in the right direction?

It is actually pretty easy. You can first calculate it and then tweak with a ruler to close the accuracy gap.
The Titan is geared, its gear ratio is 3:1. The "hobbed" gear is 7.3mm according to E3D's WIKI site (https://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/Titan_Assembly). And I see on that site that I don't need to go much further to give you the details. There they have the equations for steps/mm:
200 * 16 * 3 / (7.3 * 3.142) = 418.5 for the 1.8 degree/step stepper motor (most common NEMA17)
400 * 16 * 3 / (7.3 * 3.142) = 837 for the 0.9 degree/step stepper motor

Dive into your controller board firmware and modify the line that looks something like this:
DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT {44.34,44.58,800,44.44} (older Marlin firmware Configuration.h file)
These are the steps per mm for the X, Y, Z and first extruder. Substitute your correct steps/mm you calculated into the fourth number. Your firmware may have the axis and extruder settings on separate lines, or separate defines, it should be obvious.

DLC
August 09, 2017 07:23PM
DLC60,

Thank you so much! I was actually looking at the wiki at work after I posted this message. I appreciate all the feedback from you guys. I will update this post after I get the E3D Titan installed. I have already printer out the parts on my original extruder (which came out really great) and should be receiving my Titan tomorrow. I am looking forward to the weekend to get this all setup.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login