Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

which printer to build

Posted by Arman5592 
which printer to build
June 18, 2017 12:16PM
Hi everyone.
a while ago I decided that my i3 was not a decent printer because it had lots of vibrations and Ive never attempted at printing >3h prints due to my lack of confidence in the printer's endurance (I dont believe it can work 10h) and the build itself has issues (no cable management , wooden structure , lots of parts damaged , extreme vibrations and etc etc etc) so the printer is barely operational.
of course I shall test it with bigger prints , but until this moment I havent managed to think of something to print in order to test endurance (like , some 5-6h object that would also be nice or something)
and the next issue is I want higher speeds with prints.

so because I preffered speed over accuracy , I thought of building a delta , which initially led me to Rostock which I liked because it had printed rods and used steel rods instead of aluminium extrusions (easier to find , buy , etc) but I was told that the Kossel has a more robust structure and aluminium extrusions are better than steel rods (stronger/smoother movement) so I chose Kossel.

but the journey to find the parts (rod ends and rods (I mean delta rods) in particular) led me here , because those rod ends cost a lot in my country (and no chance of buying from global shops , they dont ship here)
So I figured building a Hypercube would cost the same as , if not less than , a Kossel .

Now Im wondering which one is the better printer to build , specifically in terms of print speeds (because I read that in Deltas , melting plastic is the speed bottleneck and they're fast due to light heads/effectors , and the hypercube has a light head too, and I also read somewhere that deltas arent much faster than corexys , its just that deltas have the same speed for much less price , but the price would be the same for me)

thanks in advance
Re: which printer to build
June 18, 2017 12:23PM
I have a suggestion. Fix what's wrong with the printer you have, then look into making a new one from scratch. You will learn a lot by fixing the problems and can apply that newly acquired knowledge to the design and construction of a new machine, if you still want or need one after the other machine is fixed.

If you're not sure where to begin, start by listing all the problems you think the machine has and rank them from worst to less awful. Then attack what you think is the worst problem and work on it until you have it fixed. The fixes may be mechanical adjustments, parts replacements, firmware tweaks, slicing tweaks, or, more likely, a combo of some or all of them. Work you way down the list.

Breaking big problems into smaller bites is usually the best way to accomplish big things.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
June 18, 2017 02:23PM
If you are interested in building a good (but not cheap) delta, I've published build details and a BOM at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com].

I can understand digital dentist's reply, however some 3D printers have so much wrong with them that it is better to start again.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 18, 2017 04:42PM
Agreed!

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login