Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'm building a SLA printer, please help me clarify the firmware and software before I start

Posted by Shizen 
So I just got a Dell 2400MP (a DLP projector) from my friend since he doesn't need it. Since I think it'll be fun to make a DLP-based SLA printer, I snatch it right away. I already have a design in mind, all the material seem to cost around 300$. Just that there are a few thing I'm not sure, so please help me clarify.

First, I think a RAMPS 1.4 board is a bit overkill since I only need 2 motors, one to move the Z axis and one to shift the resin bath (X axis motor). Therefore, I'm planning to use one of the CNC shield for a Arduino (not Mega), which provide 4 stepper motor controls, which is enough. What I'm troubled is that this board would need to use Grbl (perhaps I'll use the latest ver 1.1), is it much different than Marlin?

Second, which software should I use to control the projector? There's Creation Workshop but it's not free (there's a free version, but I'm not sure if it's good enough), so is there any software I should use? Since I might use Grbl for the main board so would it be compactable? I also planned to use X axis on the CNC Shield as to shift the tray back and front, so can I do that on the software?

Third, can I use a 2A 12V power supply to drive the printer? There are only 2 motors, so it wouldn't be a problem, right?

Fourth, is it possible to use Raspberry Pi to control the printer? Can I control the Raspberry remotely through my laptop? Or is it better to control it by my laptop?

Finally, which vat design should I use. I'm at loss when I look it up, there is too much design....

Thank you in advance.
Re: I'm building a SLA printer, please help me clarify the firmware and software before I start
May 24, 2017 06:12PM
most people use a raspberry pi and screen that can take HDMI, as this is your image source for the projector

take a look at [www.nanodlp.com]
Thank you for the suggestion
Btw, do you know if NanoDLP supports Grbl for mainboard and allow shifting resin container after each layer?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login