Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Aluminium Y carriage plate with alternative holes

Posted by drmaestro 
Aluminium Y carriage plate with alternative holes
May 04, 2017 03:12PM
Hi,

Virtually every aluminium Y carriage sold comes with holes made for SCE08 bearings. I want to convert my Y axis to MGN 12 rails, so I need different spacing for these holes. My original Y axis plate is 6 mm thick aluminium and I am reluctant to make these holes myself, as I don't know if I'll be able to drill a 6 mm hole with the tools at my posession. Also, when using linear rails, a slight misalignement creates binding, so I would prefer them to be machine-made (CNC/laser cut, etc).

Do you know a vendor who sells aluminium carriages with different binding options, other than SCE8s.

I have a DXF file for the Y carriage. Is there an online service which would cut it for me? I expected to find many online Chinese CNC services for this kind of job but I have failed to find one, which would be O.K. for cutting only a single piece (not a thousand).

Thanks.
Re: Aluminium Y carriage plate with alternative holes
May 04, 2017 03:24PM
It is really much easier than you think. You can drill holes in aluminum with any drill. You don't need the holes to be very accurately located- just make them slightly oversized so there is some wiggle room to mount the bearing blocks. Put the bearing blocks on the rails when you screw the plate to them and they will be aligned.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login