Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stepper drivers vs D1

Posted by LoroParrot 
Stepper drivers vs D1
April 29, 2017 07:52PM
Hi, I've disconnected the D1 diode because it was overheating the voltage regulator and i'm feeding the Arduino via the DC input. The thing is, the steppers aren't moving. I've checked the drivers voltage measeures and all of them are throwing 0 volts, twisted the potentiometers but the lecture stills in 0. Any idea?
Re: Stepper drivers vs D1
April 29, 2017 08:39PM
You still need power in the ramps power plugs as they and only they feed 12v (or what ever your feeding it) into the stepper drivers vmot supply

Or are you just not getting 5v at all? if so, dead voltage regulator, presuming you feeding the ramps dc jack with 7-12V
April 29, 2017 08:59PM
I'm getting the Arduino to run via de DC plug (plugged the barrel from the 12v, but it works fine); The ramps has 12v in both inputs. I can't get V lectures from the RAMPS plug to the potentiometer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2017 08:59PM by LoroParrot.
April 29, 2017 11:27PM
here is a standard pololu

Check you have 5v from VDD to the GND under it

If you have no 5v there check its coming onto the ramps at all

On
On aux-1 check from gnd to +5v
Still nothing? The mega is probably not producing 5v.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2017 11:38PM by Dust.
April 29, 2017 11:35PM
Checked and nop; still reading 0. For all drivers
April 30, 2017 10:57PM
Ok, I managed to get the printer to work. It'll print if I plug via USB, but the LCD won't show anything. When pluged via DC, the LCD works fine, but it starts to fail and restarts the Marlin.
April 30, 2017 11:37PM
Its still the voltage regulator on the mega... not sure how many time I can say this till it sinks in.
May 01, 2017 08:08AM
Dust
On aux-1 check from gnd to +5v
Still nothing? The mega is probably not producing 5v.

Checked and I read 7v there; I wan't to believe that the issue is the regulator too.
May 19, 2017 09:46PM

Hi, I've disconnected the D1 diode because it was overheating the voltage regulator and i'm feeding the Arduino via the DC input.
D1, from the circuit diagram looks like a zenner diode which is setting the bias on the voltage regulator to generate Vmm?

So it looks like no D1, no Vmm, no power to the motors?

Vref (bottom left) should be about 0.8V to give a drive current of about 1 Amp, where a Vref of 1.6V would give 2 Amps which would cause the regulator to be hot in my estimation.

Play Bonny!

Soadyheid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2017 09:48PM by Soadyheid.
May 20, 2017 02:39AM
I don't know what board your schematics refer to, but that's not the official RAMPS-schematic.
Another point where you are wrong: The 5V regulator doesn't get hot(ter), when you raise Vref.
Attachments:
open | download - RAMPS1_4schematic.png (444.2 KB)
May 20, 2017 03:19AM
That is the circuit diagram for [www.pololu.com]
A4988 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier with Voltage Regulators

I don’t know of any controller that uses these.... (Ok I use one on my E2 driver as I only had 12v... and no regulators and thus recognized it)

I suspect Soadyheid is looking at the wrong thing... the D1 in question is on the ramps board, not the stepper driver itself.
May 20, 2017 10:18AM
I stand corrected then.

I suspect Soadyheid is looking at the wrong thing... the D1 in question is on the ramps board, not the stepper driver itself.

Nothing in this post indicated that a Ramps board was involved, The only D1 relating to A4988 driver boards was found here,( Pololu as mentioned).

A4988 schematic

LoroParrot only mentioned Stepper drivers and D1 hence my post. Best guess answer. winking smiley

Play Bonny!

Soadyheid
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login