Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ultimaker 2 Extended clone electronics/hardware

Posted by Bmeehan19 
Ultimaker 2 Extended clone electronics/hardware
April 13, 2017 05:22PM
Hi,

I building another machine. I built a p3steel with ramps about a year ago. It has been pretty flawless but I want to get into dual extrusion and an enclosure for ABS etc. I've already sourced the frame so now I am trying to decide on which electronics hardware to use. I like the wifi capability, with webcam and being able to control the printer from places wether it be away in my home or from work.

I know I could use the ultimate electronics with octopi to accomplish most of what I want but is there a better way. There are a couple boards that caught my eye but I'm not well versed in electronics to know if they would be suitible. I've learned a great deal from you all while building my last printer as I had to begin from scratch as I had zero knowledge of anything remotely linked to 3D printing. Also hotend suggestions.

Here are my requests from my equipment;

Fast smooth printing 100-150 mms or more
Very accurate detailed prints.
Dual Bowden extruders multifilament
Quiet as possible
24v
Not sure on 1.8 or .9 steppers
I like LCD screens
Webcam
Wifi connectivity
Remote access definitely in home a plus for away from home
Upgrade ability - if possible

My options and please add more if I haven't listed a viable one;

Ultimaker board with octopi/print
Duet wifi with panel due - maybe a new release coming soon
Beagle Bone Printer Board - don't know much about it

Hardware thoughts

E3d chimera or cyclops ( cyclops not the most friendly to dual dissimilar filaments)
Prometheus system with the 2 into one add on (requires huge fast retraction)
E3d v6 with the 2 into one system (requires huge fast retraction)

Thank you all in advance

Bryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2017 05:23PM by Bmeehan19.
Re: Ultimaker 2 Extended clone electronics/hardware
April 14, 2017 02:28AM
For dual extrusion, there are a least two other possibilities:

1. Diamond hot end. See [somei3deas.wordpress.com].

2. Independent dual (or more) X carriages (IDEX). The Duet WiFi supports these, see [duet3d.com].

Both of these require 6 stepper drivers, so with 5-driver electronics you need to add some sort of expansion board for the 6th driver.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2017 02:29AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 14, 2017 12:56PM
Im leaning towards the duet wifi currently. I thought I read that there is another version coming out, not the ethernet version. Is this true? Also it seems that the speeds I want may not be attainable if I understand it correctly. 24v 0.9 Steppers and higher micro stepping. I saw that you could do 16x micro with interpolation, but being honest I have no idea what that is and if it will allow me to print at higher speeds while retaining great accuracy.

dc42
For dual extrusion, there are a least two other possibilities:

1. Diamond hot end. See [somei3deas.wordpress.com].

2. Independent dual (or more) X carriages (IDEX). The Duet WiFi supports these, see [duet3d.com].

Both of these require 6 stepper drivers, so with 5-driver electronics you need to add some sort of expansion board for the 6th driver.
April 14, 2017 02:15PM
Bmeehan19
Im leaning towards the duet wifi currently. I thought I read that there is another version coming out, not the ethernet version. Is this true?

There is only a minor revision (1.02) of the Duet Wifi coming, out with some improvements that we already made to the Duet Ethernet. These changes don't affect the performance.

Bmeehan19
Also it seems that the speeds I want may not be attainable if I understand it correctly. 24v 0.9 Steppers and higher micro stepping. I saw that you could do 16x micro with interpolation, but being honest I have no idea what that is and if it will allow me to print at higher speeds while retaining great accuracy.

Higher microstepping beyond about 16x does not improve accuracy, but it does make the printer quieter. 24V is enough to get good speeds with 0.9deg motors in a belt-drive printer, assuming you choose the motors well (i.e avoid low current high inductance motors). You can work out whether you will be able to achieve your desired speed, see [duet3d.com]. The maximum recommended supply voltage for the Duet WiFi and Duet Ethernet is 25V.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login