Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z and X steppers only move in one direction

Posted by riojaonly 
Z and X steppers only move in one direction
March 31, 2017 03:41PM
Just completed building a RepRap Prusa I3 printer for my son.

Had no problems with the build and I tuned all the stepper motors to .550
Inputted all the settings info from Reprapguru instruction manual into Repetier software and then tried to manually control stepper….this is when the problems started.

Both Z stepper motors will only move in a clockwise direction. And the X stepper motor when I turned on the first time would move in both directions until I hit the X home button. Now it will only move in one direction as well.

I’m new to this and really don’t have a clue, but reading post for a couple of hours I’d say I have an issue with my endstops? If I input code M119 I get the following:

09:04:46.020 : Reporting endstop status
09:04:46.020 : x_min: open
09:04:46.020 : x_max: TRIGGERED
09:04:46.020 : y_min: open
09:04:46.020 : y_max: open
09:04:46.020 : z_min: open
09:04:46.020 : z_max: TRIGGERED
When I try to move the X or Z away from home position via the manual controls in Repetier I get the following error code (it is basically different measurement every time):

08:12:40.150 : echo:endstops hit: Z:-0.30
08:12:51.353 : echo:endstops hit: Z:-0.60
08:13:02.010 : echo:endstops hit: Z:-0.66
08:13:12.432 : echo:endstops hit: X:0.00
08:13:31.793 : echo:endstops hit: X:-16.99

I tried disconnecting my Z endstop from the control board and it made no difference.

Is there a way to re-set the Endstops or something? Any advice/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Re: Z and X steppers only move in one direction
March 31, 2017 05:56PM
a disconnected endstop is still a triggered endstop (for normally closed endstops)

Yes you need to get your endstops under control

posted this about a million times, and here comes million +1

To setup your endstops follow this:

Correctly identify what endstops you have on your machine

This is for i3 type machines where the bed moves in Y direction.

On X axis, if a endstop is on the left its a min endstop, if its on the right its a max endstop
On Y axis, if a endstop is on the back its a min endstop, it its at the front its a max endstop
On Z axis, if the endstop is at the bed its a min endstop, if it at the top its a max endstop

Ramps boards have different plugs for min and max endstops, make sure this is correct for what you have on your machine.

Then setup your firmware homing directions. -1 home to min, 1 home to max

For two wire endstops you have you need to enable the pull up for that endstop.

Now manually test each endstop, Sending M119 to the machine while you holding and then after its released.
any that is backwards simply invert them in firmware.

NB if you have 3 wire switch endstops, make sure you have them plugged in correct way. If you plug them in backwards you will kill the voltage regulator on the mega when the switch shorts +5v to gnd,

Now if when you home it moves the wrong way, your entire axis is backwards and you need to invert the axis, not the homing.

Any endstops that are not connected but triggered just invert them in firmware so they are always open. (or disable the endstop)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2017 05:59PM by Dust.
Re: Z and X steppers only move in one direction
March 31, 2017 07:11PM
I disabled the max endstops and now all the stepper motors are moving in both directions. Tested the endstops and they're reporting correctly

Thank you for helping out the newbie!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login