Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need to alternatively power Arduino

Posted by Fizpok 
Need to alternatively power Arduino
February 14, 2017 05:33AM
Hi,
I have a reprap, working except Arduino does not get power from RAMPS. If I provide it to barrel, works ok.
My question is, how to power Arduino correctly in this situation.

1. Using an extra power supply is ugly (but works).
2. I want to wire power from RAMPS to Arduino. Maybe to barrel, maybe to pins, maybe to USB.

I need to know which is best, preferably, using RAMPS - to Arduino via pins (without taking it apart again and soldering).
An ideal would be something like "wire power supply 5A output to barrel", but I'd like an expert advice first.

Thanks.
Re: Need to alternatively power Arduino
February 14, 2017 08:37AM
It has been a while, but doesn't the RAMPS have a Diode that determines if the Arduino should get power from the RAMPS or not?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2017 08:38AM by Srek.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
February 14, 2017 11:25AM
Well, it doesn't work.
February 14, 2017 11:31AM
Particularly, is this true: [forums.reprap.org]
February 14, 2017 12:51PM
The problem just got more complicated.
I can provide power via USB, and Arduino runs the program.
I can not provide power via Jack. Diodes go on as should, the program does not run.
But once, accidentally, I used 24V power supply to Jack. And it worked (I turned it off as soon as I realized, but...)
My current hypothesis is that The on-board power supply suppresses the outside supply, unless it is 24V... Anyway, need an advice. I would like to use Jack.
February 14, 2017 04:00PM
Most likely the 24vdc fried the 5vdc voltage regulator on the Mega. From the symptoms, you need to replace the voltage regulator.
February 14, 2017 04:03PM
Your on board voltage regulator on the mega is toast

Both the DC jack and the power from ramps vi D1 feed this regulator. So you cant run both at the same time.

power from USB is 5v direct from the computer

You have three options.

1) Replace the mega (or repair if your good at electronics)
2) Create you own 5v from 12v and apply it to the board +5v lines (some people use unused endstop pins for this) (make sure to remove D1 if your doing this)
3) only use usb power for 5v, I would still remove D1 in your case since regulator is damaged you don't want anything trying to power it). This is not recommend if you have a LCD or a servo
February 16, 2017 04:37AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login