Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Prusa MGN

Posted by bme 
Re: My Prusa MGN
June 24, 2016 06:49PM
hi - i've followed this a few times, and have actually thought it's about time i registered...

first off - thank you for publishing your stl files, i've recently bought mgn12 rails to upgrade my i3 clone (2020 extrusion based), and while googling found this.

some questions/remarks:
1. the link is missing an underscore - the actual zip file name on your server has double underscores like this -> PrusaMGN__STL_Files.zip and your link has one missing, just thought you'd want to know.
2. i saw in a few of your earlier youtube videos (from about 2 months ago) that you originally mounted the rails on what seems to be 15x15 (or 20x20) extrusions. i was planning on mounting mine on 20x20 for stability especially in higher speeds, and was wandering why you had ditched that particular design?
3. looking at the stl for the layer fan, i think it would be beneficial to have it as a complete circle around the nozzle and blowing downwards and to the center. i recently upgraded my layer fan from the type of tunnel you are using to a circular one (after trying a few from thingiverse) and it did wonders for PLA and PETG printing (if you have not tried it - i definitely recommend making the move from abs to petg). i can now print both faster and higher resolution detail than i could before.
4. do any of those stl's require any special settings or supports in order to print? could you provide your recommendations for printing them in terms of infill, layer height, top/bottom/external shells?
bme
June 24, 2016 10:33PM
Thanks!

1. Fixed.
2. It is cheaper and less complicated to mount.
3. It is better as you described. That file I made works too. If anybody make it better you can upload it here.
4. There is Slic3r configuration "PLA.ini" file. I print all with that file. No support needed. Download all file again. I changed rotation of STL files in slicer.
June 28, 2016 05:01AM
thanks for the updates.

regarding #2 - i already have my bed mounted on two 2020 extrusions (with mgn12 rails), and i have the extrusion necessary for the x axis as well, so i was kinda hoping you might be willing to release your design for the extrusion version as well. it cost me 5$ per meter for the extrusions, so that's definitely on the cheap side winking smiley

regarding #3 - i've started learing freecad and have designed a few very simple mechanical parts, i am hoping to work my way up to a level where i can do this type of stuff. would you be willing to release the source for those designs so they could be more easily modified and customized? this is probably a good practice for me to develop these types of skills...
bme
June 29, 2016 01:33PM
Sorry doctor, no more files from me.

Here is my another try with 0.6 and 0.8 layer height. The other image is when I tried to destroy it with
my feet . Very very strong parts.

September 28, 2016 06:45AM
Hello Bme!

Very interested by your design, I just wanted to ask you if you could please upload again the files of the printer?
It appears your link ends on a 404 page...
Thank you very much!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2016 06:45AM by LaSynapse.
November 22, 2016 04:53PM
Did anyone get the stl files for this? I'd like to build one as well!
December 11, 2016 12:15PM
JamesK
chris33
wd40 isnt a lubricant its a degreaser

True, but a lot of Chinese parts come with protective grease for transport and storage, and wd40 would likely work quite well for removing that. The question then becomes what to use for a normal lubricant.

Actually it is a Water Dispersal agent formula number 40 (didn't you ever wonder where the name came from?

I found a very good oil that is cheep, easy to find and comes in both wet and dry lube.

Bicycle chain oil!

another alternative is washing up liquid soap (which also works great as a cutting fluid)
January 20, 2017 12:15AM
I'm with couchpilot, was anyone able to grab the x carriage files before they vanished?
May 31, 2017 01:05PM
Bme hello! Please update the files smiling smiley
I wanted to make my printer the same way. Files can not download ((

My printer in the picturesmiling smiley
Attachments:
open | download - 2017-05-31_184922.jpg (207 KB)
June 01, 2017 10:39AM
WD-40 is the trademark name of a penetrating oil and water-displacing spray. The spray is manufactured by the San Diego, California
June 02, 2017 03:20AM
Upload your files again please)))
August 28, 2017 03:43PM
Hi, can you please upload the STL again?
Thank you
November 18, 2017 02:46AM
Hello BME,
I would like to edit my 3d printer,
you can have the files .step of your printer.

Let me know

Thanks .
November 29, 2017 12:12PM
I search for it forever and always had hope the Prusa mgn designer will upload the files.
now apparently someone had done it and made it even better.
The mod called "BLV mgn12 mod" and found here: [www.thingiverse.com]
although it originally designed for the Anet A8 - it does suit perfectly to my prusa.
one more advantage is that the designer there uploaded all the source files, so we can manipulate them to our needs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2017 12:27PM by mesebewoxu.
Attachments:
open | download - 95cf3cb2c14b5cc20646b3f2bf282b70_display_large.jpg (260.1 KB)
bme
February 06, 2018 01:04PM
Hi!

You can download only STL Prusa MGN files here:

[sites.google.com]
February 28, 2018 01:31AM
bme
Hi!

You can download only STL Prusa MGN files here:

[sites.google.com]

Too little, too late bro.
no hard feelings, but this BLV guy made a fine job with his mgn printer.
well stable, robust structure, efficient and modular while your design look too fragile and outdated.
also keep in mind mgn rails isn't always straight, extrusion support on the x-axis is vital.
the best part is having the source step file for modifying it as you like.
love this printer (ordered parts for my second blv mgn printer, only its going to be super sized).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2018 01:32AM by fazimalute.
February 28, 2018 12:02PM
I hate to break it to you brah, but super-sizing a printer that throws the massive bed plate back and forth at print speed isn't a great idea. Neither is dual motors in the Z axis. Neither is using 4 screws to "level" the bed. That inverted-T frame doesn't scale up too well, either.

If you want to make a large printer, look into architectures in which the bed moves in Z (but use one motor to move it). Aside from the control issue, moving the bed in Y requires 2x the footprint of a machine that moves the bed in Z, not too much of a problem for a small machine, but a bigger problem for a large machine. Box frames tend to be more rigid that the inverted-T. 3 point leveling actually allows the bed to be leveled, but if you're going really big, autoleveling that maps the bed surface can compensate for unflatness.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
March 01, 2018 02:38PM
By that i meant to 300x300 instead of the 220mm of the original Anet.
If it suitable for the CR-10 i think it will be suitable for this too, don't you think?
March 01, 2018 03:45PM
I guess it depends on your print quality goals.

My second printer had a 300 mm square bed moving in Y and I ended up installing a ball screw to drive the Y axis because I was seeing too many print defects related to belt and motor springiness when it was belt driven. See the SoM link in my sig, below.

I would not build another 300x300 bed machine with the bed moving in the Y axis. My third printer (UMMD< linked below) is a 300x300 x700 mm coreXY with bed moving in Z. I'm pretty happy with its performance.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login