Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nema 17 shaft broken

Posted by Michel000 
Nema 17 shaft broken
March 01, 2016 11:38AM
Hi,

Yesterday i had for the second time a broken shaft on 1 of my Nema 17 steppers both times on the motor.
I was using this motor for only 2 months now, its from the motor thats moving the Y axis (i have printer with a H frame) .
Is this just a bad quallity steppers or is there something wrong in my printer, the only thing i can think of to change is less tension on my timing belt and putting the pulley closer to the stepper ( mount it up side down screws on the end of the shaft)
I have now 4mm distance between motor and pulley.

could it be caused by a not 100% round pulley? i used the same pulley on both motors ?
I will look add this when its finished printing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2016 11:43AM by Michel000.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20160229_223316.jpg (1.14 MB)
VDX
Re: Nema 17 shaft broken
March 01, 2016 12:43PM
... could be, you're over-tensioning the belt, so it's bending the shaft more, than it can handle.

A solution is to embed the other end of the shaft in a bearing to reduce the bending forces ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 01, 2016 03:23PM
But putting a extra bearing on the shaft only works if you use a high precision part to hold the bearing and motor exactly inline else it will only put more tension on the shaft.
VDX
March 01, 2016 03:50PM
... this is normally done with milled aluminium holders, but plastic parts will do too.

The hole for the counter-bearing is fixed, the fixing holes for the motor screws will give the displacement to align the motor ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 03, 2016 04:42PM
I used these bearings while switching to a one motor Z setup. [www.aliexpress.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login