Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

confused smileyEuroway Prusa I3 help!!!

Posted by palace110 
confused smileyEuroway Prusa I3 help!!!
February 07, 2016 05:03PM
Hello, I am new here I was wondering if I could some kind of help with my printer.... I recently purchased a Euroway Prusa I3 but I'm having a few issues with getting it to run correctly. After the build I have been experiencing some issues with the Heatbed not working. It won't heat up at all. I've used a multimeter and a circuit light tester to check the slot for the heat bed and I get nothing. Is this issue possibly the heatbed being bad or maybe the motherboard being bad. I had actually sent the motherboard back to the company for a replacement because the previous one was faulty. I just removed the heatbed since the company told me to check the wiring to see if I needed to solder them back on. I'm at a loss now. There are more issues but at the moment I wanted to get this part taken care of before moving forward any help is much appreciated.... I've attached a few pictures of the heat bed after I removed it to check the wiring, and a few images of the motherboard.
Attachments:
open | download - 20160207_152611[1].jpg (447.4 KB)
open | download - 20160207_152622[1].jpg (478.7 KB)
open | download - 20160207_152629_001[1].jpg (484 KB)
open | download - 1454881124199[1].jpg (285.4 KB)
Re: confused smileyEuroway Prusa I3 help!!!
February 07, 2016 05:49PM
Looking at the photos you posted.
With the heated bed plate, the thermistor is normally taped on the underside rather than on upper side, which shows the safety information. It also needs to have good contact with the plate. You can also check the heated plate with an Ohm meter which according to this wiki link [reprap.org] that shows that it's residence should be ~2ohms and it's current requirement is 6Amps when given 12volts

The motherboard you are using looks like this one [www.geeetech.com] There is wiki link at the bottom of that page which gives more information showing the connections but then based upon your photos you seem passed that stage.

Testing the operation of a 3D printer, sort of needs the frame to be built first. As testing the items (hot end, bed, end-stops and heated bed) needs to be done with care as it's possible to short wires, causing major problems. Also when you apply power to that bed plate it will get too hot to handle.
Build the printer, mount everything, protect the bare wires and ensure that connections are tight before trying to commission or print with it.
The i3 printers are quite well documented and supported; It might take a while to getting it perfect but you should be able to get it printing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2016 05:50PM by orictosh.

Supporting 3D Printers with Parts and Build services.
Printer: Ormerod 2 (528.4) Duel extruder set-up with Aluminium X-Rib, RRPro Firmware v1.11-ch (2016-04-08)
February 07, 2016 06:53PM
Thanks, you've given me a lot of good information. As far as the plate and the build, I have the entire build done for the frame and everything is plugged in. Before I sent the messages I took the heatbed off to check the thermistor and the soldered connections per the companies request. The bed was already put together with the wires soldered and the thermistor taped to it. Both sides of this plate are exactly the same as far as the safety info. being on it. They are telling me that I may need to re solder the positive and negative wire to the bed and they believe it is is loose but it isn't. I will try to get the ohm readings for the thermistor.
February 07, 2016 11:35PM
There's no fuse in that board.
February 07, 2016 11:54PM
@hoxsiew Fuse..? where would it go?
February 08, 2016 12:03AM
Right there where the power cord connects, near the USB jack. It has the main board fuse (probably 5-6 amps) but the socket right next to it is empty. This is the one for the bed. 15 amp, but many people have had problems with it. I think the holder is only rated for 10 amps. A bed will draw 9 or 10 amps.
February 08, 2016 12:34AM
@hoxsiew Thanks, do you know what the name of that fuse is? Maybe I can find the kind at a local hardware store....
February 08, 2016 05:26AM
Its apparently these [www.ebay.com]
February 13, 2016 05:52PM
Thanks @Dust. After getting and installing the fuse when trying to heat the bed everything just shuts off... I'm not sure why any suggestions are much appreciated.....
February 13, 2016 06:46PM
Under powered power supply?

What are you using for a power supply? You need minimum 16A 12v (and most power supplies lie, and cannot provide the listed current)

The heated bed is quite power hungry, most use about 11amps
February 13, 2016 09:33PM
It's supposed to be 12V
February 14, 2016 12:55AM
I'm using the one it came with here is photo. It should be 12V I've tried to heat it as a test and neither the extruder or the bed goes above 38°
Attachments:
open | download - Untitled4 (368.8 KB)
February 14, 2016 08:45AM
palace110
I'm using the one it came with here is photo. It should be 12V I've tried to heat it as a test and neither the extruder or the bed goes above 38°

The attached file has no file extension (forexample.jpg) so make it hard for other computers to open it; I told my win10 computer to use Windows Photo Viewer.

It looks like the normal type of PSU you get upon a reprap. With a voltmeter does it show 12volts?
38 degrees is that in C or F
In C it's 100 degrees F; In F is 3.3 degrees At rest it should be about the same as room temperature ~18 degrees C dependent upon location of printer.
Still dosen't explain the hot-end and print bed not getting up to temperature.
Check the wiring is tight and you have voltages were they should be?

Supporting 3D Printers with Parts and Build services.
Printer: Ormerod 2 (528.4) Duel extruder set-up with Aluminium X-Rib, RRPro Firmware v1.11-ch (2016-04-08)
February 17, 2016 11:56PM
It's in Celsius. The extruder won't heat up when I bed is trying to heat and the bed just won't go above 38 or 40 Celsius at all. I'm not sure why it's not getting up to temp when I try to print. But just testing the temp only the extruder gets hot. The wiring is tight and correct and the voltages are where they should be. I see the lights on the motherboard light up when the lcd is showing that is it heating just no heat. there is power on the board also, so maybe the bed is the problem....?
February 18, 2016 01:04AM
Im going to presume its the same as a ramps and the mega control’s the -ve line.

remove the bed -ve wire from bed plug - pin, and wire it directly to the -ve of the power supply.

You should have 12v across the two bed wires.

Does it get hot now?

NB this is un controlled, it will just get hotter and hotter, don’t leave this way and do not leave un attended!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2016 01:06AM by Dust.
February 23, 2016 05:27PM
Still no heat. And seems like now it's back to shutting off if I try to control the bed and heat it when I was testing the bed.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login