Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filament sensor

Posted by elwood127 
Filament sensor
January 31, 2016 12:29AM
I've read some posts on this subject because of the seemingly never ending issue of print failure. Isn't there a physical contact (with the filament) rolling wheel sensor that can detect movement and if so, is there a main board and or firmware that can take that input and if (filament stops moving for say 10 seconds) pause the print and send X home with a resume print option. This is the biggest issue with 3d printing and no one seems to care. What the hell!
Yours truly, sick of losing 7 hour print because I left the room to make a sandwich.
Re: Filament sensor
January 31, 2016 03:42AM
This already exists in firmware, you just need to enable it.

see [github.com]
The m600 is "M600 - Pause for filament change X[pos] Y[pos] Z[relative lift] E[initial retract] L[later retract distance for removal]"

All you need to do is add a sensor, the easiest being a switch type to the intake of the extruder. where the switch is held closed when the filament in entering the extruder (a simple loop on the switch arm that the filament goes threw would do it, a ptfe liner on the loop might also be a good idea to keep friction down)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2016 03:44AM by Dust.
January 31, 2016 11:27AM
Dust
This already exists in firmware, you just need to enable it.

see [github.com]
The m600 is "M600 - Pause for filament change X[pos] Y[pos] Z[relative lift] E[initial retract] L[later retract distance for removal]"

All you need to do is add a sensor, the easiest being a switch type to the intake of the extruder. where the switch is held closed when the filament in entering the extruder (a simple loop on the switch arm that the filament goes threw would do it, a ptfe liner on the loop might also be a good idea to keep friction down)

This would be a good fix if the filament left the path. There is nothing I have seen that monitors the filament pressure or movement.
Think spagetti also. How can these 2 errors be captured.
January 31, 2016 02:37PM
Someone posted a very detailed write up of a filament movement sensor search the forum for it. It was too technical for me but would be a useful thing to have if it could be bought, installed and just used. I think it worked on an idler with an optical encoder on it.
January 31, 2016 04:29PM
You guys with the connections to builders and or designers need to give them a rib shot and tell them to get on it. This should be standard equipment.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login