Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prints Down Scale From Rhino Design

Posted by davidbitton 
Prints Down Scale From Rhino Design
January 27, 2016 05:14PM
My prints are coming out smaller on my Aurora Z-605S than I would expect based on the sizes in the Rhino design. What steps can I take to manage this? Are there adjustments I can make in either the printer or Cura to compensate for this? Thanks!
Re: Prints Down Scale From Rhino Design
January 27, 2016 09:20PM
Hey David, I use Rhino and the Z605 so here goes. Is the file loading really tiny? If so than it is probably drawn in inches. Is it possibly one of my thingiverse files? Until I realized that I could scale my inch drawings by 25.4 to produce metric files I uploaded some inch drawings. If you are using Repetier you can change the "Units Of Imported Objects" from mm to inch. Upper left corner of Repetier, click Config and change units. If you are using Cura it has to be a metric file. If so I can scale it to metric for you if you can send me the file. If it is printing slightly smaller than expected than it is probably a settings issue. Brian.
January 27, 2016 09:20PM
Most slicers have a scale feature.
Even then if you design a part thats 10mm and it comes out 9.5mm then you just need to properly calibrate your machine and not fudge it up with scale.
January 27, 2016 09:21PM
great. how do I calibrate the printer?
January 27, 2016 09:23PM
All of my work in Rhino is in mm. For example, right now in Rhino I have an inside dimension of 40.411 millimeters and I measure the print with a caliper at 40.03. That difference is a big deal when sizing around a printed circuit board. thanks.
January 27, 2016 09:25PM
You need to run something simple like a calibration cube thats 10mm cubed and see what it prints like. There are many guides showing how to setup printer motor steps per mm
January 27, 2016 09:38PM
Ok, I used the Layer Height and Extrusion Multiplyer to add or subtract to the filament width. A slightly higher Multiplier will produce a bit more bulge on the sides of the bead being layed down effectively making the part bigger. In Slic3r you can find settings here.

January 27, 2016 09:41PM
Keep in mind that holes and inside dimensions will be smaller. You may need to calibrate your Stepper steps per mm settings.
January 27, 2016 09:45PM
Cura has "Flow (%)", that must be the same as Extrusion Multiplier; maybe.
January 27, 2016 09:55PM
I printed the .4mm thin wall test cube and made note of the dimensions and thickness as I made settings changes. Don't forget to reslice after each test.
January 27, 2016 10:10PM
I think this calibration stuff may be easier w/ pronterface and not Cura.
January 28, 2016 12:54AM
We're talking EEPROM corrections. I have no idea how you do this because I can not find a way to talk to my board. Good luck.
January 29, 2016 10:31AM
I'm going through the iterative process of adjusting M92 values. For whatever reason, M500 isn't writing the updated values to the EEPROM so I just add it to the start-code. I'm almost there.
January 29, 2016 02:57PM
You have to enable EEPROM edit in the firmware
January 29, 2016 03:02PM
According to this, it needs to be enabled in the firmware. Since I'm using the firmware provided by the printer vendor, I don't have the src to recompile. Using start-code seems just as well, no?
January 29, 2016 06:33PM
I had the same issue but decided to just use the latest version of Marlin and recompile with a new better version
January 29, 2016 06:47PM
Is it worth looking at the Repetier firmware?
January 29, 2016 09:36PM
Im not sure what firmware your board can handle. Personally im using a RAMPS board and Marlin firmware.
January 29, 2016 10:43PM
davidbitton
Is it worth looking at the Repetier firmware?[/quo

I can't get repetier to see my EEPROM. So, no talky to eeprom. Maddening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2016 10:44PM by elwood127.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login