Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Crazy, demented stepper motors arghhhhhh!!!!

Posted by banjogeoff 
Crazy, demented stepper motors arghhhhhh!!!!
January 22, 2016 09:29AM
Hi everyone, as you will soon appreciate I am a complete newbie to this subject of 3D printing and the construction of same.
I have built my 3D printer with parts purchased from eBay and rescued from my recycle bin in the “Man Cave”.
I am now desperate to get printing but having major difficulties in calibrating.
It’s a fairly standard setup, ramps board, Nema 17’s, A4988 drivers on an Arduino board all run from an X-box 360 psu.
I have a lot of very helpful advice and tips from other forums but thought it would be best to come here as it is based on a prusa i3.
I think the easiest way to show/explain the current problem is the attached videos. BTW all the bleeps in the first video is me
Attempting to navigate through the menu.

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2016 09:33AM by banjogeoff.
Re: Crazy, demented stepper motors arghhhhhh!!!!
January 22, 2016 12:00PM
- have you check the motor wiring pairs with a multi-meter? do not reply on wiring colour codes
- have you put all 3 jumpers under the driver on the RAMPS?
- have you checked the voltages of the driver with a multi-meter? 2v DC setting between ground and the pot, with the 12V power off and just USB to power the Arduino/RAMPs - should ready around .6v
- have you changed the #define DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE value of the Z axis from 5 to 2 in your configuration.h?

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
January 22, 2016 01:33PM
Thank you for the advice I will try to check it all over the weekend
January 23, 2016 10:06AM
Steve or Roy whichever it is you are a damn life saver my man, this monstrosity was so close to performing acrobatic tricks with a brick wall but you have saved the day.
I can now get on with some serious calibration attempts, maybe eventually a test print. YEEHAAAAAA
I checked everything as suggested and three of the five steppers were incorrectly wired and those were the supposedly "good" ones I bought in the UK that came pre wired with instructions etc, um no,
Also one of the stepper drivers was up around the 1.3 v level.
The jumpers and the code were ok.
Anyway I cannot thank you enough for your help and expertise, I know where to come next time when I need an expert.
Geoff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login