Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wilson II upgrade to Smoothiewear

Posted by Fobose 
Wilson II upgrade to Smoothiewear
January 11, 2016 02:44PM
I recently purchased the Wilson II kit. This will be my first time building a printer. I have heard some great things about Smoothieboards and was wanting to know if anyone has upgraded their's or has experience in converting the boards. I believe the board that comes in the kit is the Arduino Mega.
Re: Wilson II upgrade to Smoothiewear
January 11, 2016 02:55PM
Motor driver circuits on main board. Bad deal. A driver blows and you blow money money.
That means rewiiring, refirming, re setup. You'll have enough problems with adding a hidden mystery to your hardware.
Arduino boys just swap drivers and we're back online. Think about that.
Single board equals simplicity is a lie. If you can't simply swap you can't simply run.
January 11, 2016 03:57PM
I went from Arduino Mega/RAMPS to Smoothieboard in my printer. It was a relatively easy conversion especially since the connections for motors, etc. are brought to the edges of the board.

The motor drivers are MUCH better than the little Pololu things on the RAMPS board because the chips on the smoothieboard are properly heatsinked to the ground plane of the board. You may have had problems with the RAMPS motor driver modules, but you aren't likely to have the same problems with the smoothieboard. There are three things that kill the motor drivers- disconnecting the motor (or a failed cable that does that) while it is powered up, and overheating the driver because you have the current set too high, or breaking the pot. On the smoothieboard, motor current is programmed in the config file, and there's no pot to break. If a motor driver somehow gets killed, you can use any unused drivers on the board with a simple config change. If there are no spares on the board, you can use an external driver by easily connecting to the step/direction/enable signal pins on the smoothieboard.

The idea that using easily replaceable modules is better is a fallacy. The drivers get killed easily because they are on those little, modular, easily replaceable boards.
It's good that they are easily replaceable because you will need to do that a lot. Easy replacement is good, having to do it isn't.

Another thing you'll love about the smoothieboard is no more screwing around hunting for the right config file in Marlin, and no messing with the flaky Arduino IDE to recompile the firmware every time you want to make a change. All config variables are stored in a single text file on a uSD card. The card is read each time the board boots up, so if you want to make a change, just edit the one text file (no searching through 6 different files looking for the variable) and reboot the board. No recompile necessary! Firmware updates are done the same way- store the new firmware file on the uSD card and reboot. Smoothieware's boot loader will find it and update the firmware without any screwing around.

You can also print gcode files stored on the uSD card, or add an LCD display/encoder board for reliable, stand-alone operation. There are a bunch of other features, such as networking and a built in web server to control the printer, but I don't use that stuff so I can't tell you much about it.

You can see how I wired my smoothieboard by following the link in my sig, below. I use external DSP drivers on the X and Y axis NEMA-23 motors and the smoothieboard's drivers for the Z axis NEMA-23 motor and extruder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2016 07:39AM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
January 12, 2016 07:27AM
Giantkiller
Motor driver circuits on main board. Bad deal. A driver blows and you blow money money.

The drivers are *designed* to be on-board. They are much better heatsinked than pololu-type drivers, and *extremely* less likely to die.

If you manage to kill the driver ( which again, is extremely rare, much much rarer than on a RAMPS for example ), wiring an external driver in it's place is trivially simple, and only marginally more expensive than replacing a pololu driver.

Giantkiller
Single board equals simplicity is a lie. If you can't simply swap you can't simply run.

That's true only in a world where you *need* to swap drivers. These drivers are not designed to die, they are designed to stay alive. They just don't on the pololu boards because they are bad design.
January 13, 2016 03:33PM
In the end, wouldn't you get better prints with Smoothie wear boards vs Arduino Mega with RAMPS?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login