Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need Help with E3D V6 Carriage for HICTOP i3

Posted by Pole04 
Need Help with E3D V6 Carriage for HICTOP i3
January 09, 2016 10:55PM
I purchased an E3D V6 Hotend to upgrade my HITCOP i3, but I cannot seem to find a reliable X-Axis carriage for the E3D V6. Does anyone have any suggestions that will work with a direct drive extruder?

I have tried the one HICTOP design on Thingiverse but it has issues feeding the filament and causes it to stick and kink. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Need Help with E3D V6 Carriage for HICTOP i3
January 10, 2016 06:34AM
are you trying to mount a direct drive or with a Bowden tube extruder?
January 10, 2016 09:37PM
I am mounting a direct drive. I was hoping to use the stock extruder/motor that came with the printer.
January 13, 2016 04:49AM
Hey so I've recently (december at some point) set up one of my hictops with these to support the direct drive extruder. one is the X carriage, and the second is a mount that the extruder mounts onto.

[www.thingiverse.com] (I use the revision 3, after asking the maker of the model he said he uses the rev3 I figured it was a safe bet to go that route winking smiley )
[www.thingiverse.com]

Now its not just as simple as having both of those printed, you'll need a mounting plate for it. I BELIEVE I have this one but I'm not 100% sure, it is labeled as v5 so be aware. I think they're the same.:

[www.amazon.com]

Hopefully this helps in some fashion. Its the only setup I found on thingiverse that I felt comfortable using for changing out my hot end. As I was printing exclusively PLA I didn't want to risk printing out a model that would come in direct contact with the hot end itself (the second model I suppose does at the very top part of the extruder but I've not yet had any issues with this set in PLA despite printing with it for many hours.

Edit 2: Keep in mind when doing this you're going to lose print height due to the e3d being slightly longer than the factory hot end. It isn't drastic, but the important thing to consider is the z end stop switch location. Nobody wants to ram their hot end into the print bed so be careful. I use the acrylic frame hictop, if you use the aluminum one I'm not sure how the z end stop mounts but as it stands my z end stop switch is one that mounts on the smooth rod for the z axis, Wish I didn't take such a close up picture of the x carriage / mount to help explain the end stop thing.

Alright I think that is about all I can think of. I did drill out the hole for the filament feed from the extruder and the hot end so it was smooth in there to reduce chafing during feeding and its worked excellent.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2016 05:02AM by Humantelope.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login