Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z motors humm and jerk but do not spin.

Posted by jonbroadfoot 
Z motors humm and jerk but do not spin.
January 08, 2016 02:36PM
Hey guys,

So I just built a prusa i3 and I have the x axis and y axis working. The problem is my Z axis. When I tell it to move it humms and jerks a little bit but won't actualy move. The threaded rods are easy to move and are level. The wiring is definetly correct. The driver is set to the highest output. I even took a stepper motor from my other printer that I know for sure works and it was acting the same way when I plugged it in. Please help.

Thank You,

Jonathan Broadfoot
Re: Z motors humm and jerk but do not spin.
January 08, 2016 03:06PM
Try holding the z stop switch down then move z.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2016 03:06PM by Giantkiller.
January 09, 2016 02:45AM
Did you try to swap the drivers too?
January 09, 2016 02:52AM
If you have the driver set to the highest output then it is almost certainly overheating. Turn it down to about 1A and connect your two Z motors in series instead of in parallel.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 09, 2016 04:44PM
The weird part is when I run the test ramps code on my arduino they work fine. So I'm thinking it is something to do with the firmware,.
January 09, 2016 05:19PM
jonbroadfoot
The weird part is when I run the test ramps code on my arduino they work fine. So I'm thinking it is something to do with the firmware,.

That suggests that your acceleration and/or speed and/or jerk settings configured in the firmware for the Z axis are too large.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

January 09, 2016 05:45PM
Could you possible copy and paste that part of your firmware into here so I could double check what I have compared to you?
January 10, 2016 02:42AM
jonbroadfoot
Could you possible copy and paste that part of your firmware into here so I could double check what I have compared to you?

You haven't said what firmware you are using. If it is Marlin on Arduino/RAMPS then what you need is settings to put in the Config.h file. But I don't use that, I use RepRapFirmware on Duet electronics, which is configured by a file on the SD card. There is a separate forum section for Mendel-type printers, so I suggest you try asking on that.

January 10, 2016 12:18PM
jonbroadfoot

If you use pronterface to control the printer it will show these values when you connect to it.
January 10, 2016 10:48PM
I am using marlin and a ramps board with an arduino
January 11, 2016 12:07AM
jonbroadfoot
I am using marlin and a ramps board with an arduino

Get Pronterface here:
[www.pronterface.com]
[www.pronterface.com]

Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login