Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

need help ASAP my printer wont power up and shorted out power to my house

Posted by Mikip89 
need help ASAP my printer wont power up and shorted out power to my house
December 22, 2015 03:15AM
So I'm in need of some serious help guys and I have no idea where it all went wrong. So I've been slowing building my printer over the last week putting in about an hour or so each day and the instructions they sent me are useless they seem to skip steps and didn't supply me with the correct parts or anything. So I just finished installing to extruder and started to tighten some things up and the next step seemed like they where telling me to power up the printer and press the function key. So after about 10 mins or so of checking cables and things I plugged the power in and as soon as I hit the power switch nothing happened and it shorted out power to all of my tvs and computer. So obviously i'm completely new to 3d printing and i'm not sure weather I just blew my 3d printer up at all and to make things worse the printer I have seems to be a newer version of the i3 so all the instructions I come across on the web look nothing like mine so I have pretty much nothing to go on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Re: need help ASAP my printer wont power up and shorted out power to my house
December 22, 2015 03:34AM
1) take a deep breath
2) count to 5
3) and release.... tongue sticking out smiley
Panic over?

For the power supply to take out a house fuse something has gone very wrong with the power supply or its wiring

What sort of power supply and how is it wired.. and to what controller boards heated bed and hotend etc.

photos may help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2015 03:35AM by Dust.
December 22, 2015 04:15AM
Okay here's some pics of the printer after going through everything step by step again I have done everything that's stated in the instructions but I did notice that I have a power supply cable left in the packet and after checking all the motors I noticed the motor on Q assembly had no power going to it but again looking at the instructions they seemed to have skipped this and so I have no idea where it gets plugged into.

[s11.postimg.org]

[s11.postimg.org]

[s11.postimg.org]

[s11.postimg.org]
December 22, 2015 04:58AM
On that power supply are there any marks that indicate which screw terminals are what?

As I've not seen a power supply with mains on that end... (not that there is anything that says it needs to be at that end, but i've not seen it, so I would check that)

That power supply also has a 110v/220v switch on the side, make sure its set to your country voltage.

The mains wiring should be house wall plug -> power cable -> power plug/switch under printer power supply on side of printer -> ac wires to input to printer power supply (is there some sort of board under the power supply??, maybe just plug related)

The output of the power supply should just go to the 4 pin power plug on the board. From the underside of the board (http://www.geeetech.com/wiki/images/8/80/IMG_3773.jpg) the gnds are on the edge of the board and the +12v inside that. (your pictures unclear if you have this correct)

Its a I3 style printer
looks like a standard mk2a 12v heated bed
and a Geeetech Gt2560 ramps compatible controller (lots of help on this here [www.geeetech.com])

If you have triple checked the wiring, I would unplug the 4 pin power plug to the board and just plug the power supply in to the wall and turn it on... If it blows the fuse again its a very dead power supply.

If that's fine (the power supply led should be on) . Turn it off, plug the 4 pin plug back in, but remove both the hot end and heated bed from the board. Try that

If that's fine add in the hot end and try again, Still fine add in the heated bed

Good luck.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2015 05:19AM by Dust.
December 22, 2015 11:38AM
I'm with Dust on this - a closeup of the terminal markings on the power supply would help.
I haven't seen one with a terminal layout like that.

My updated Instructable on our Prusa i3 Build
[www.instructables.com]
December 22, 2015 10:47PM
Here's a few close ups of the power supply box and a pic from the instructions that I had to go off. I once again have checked all the wires only thing I did was swap around the end red ones to see if they had got crossed up in the tube and I also switched to voltage in the box but still no luck. I even had the power turned off at the wall and as soon as I plugged it in it still threw the power out somehow and I did check the power point to see if anything else had a issue just the 3d printer.

[s8.postimg.org]

[s8.postimg.org]

[s8.postimg.org]

[s8.postimg.org]
December 23, 2015 02:41AM
So I just unplugged the 4pin connector going to the motherboard and tried to turn it on just with the power block by itself and it still threw it out. Does this mean my power supply is faulty?
December 23, 2015 03:15AM
Yes, it mean your power supply is very dead. Or you have the cable from the power supply to the plug very wrong.. (but most likely very dead power supply)
December 23, 2015 03:30AM
One last picture please, same as [s8.postimg.org] but with the cover down so we can read the symbols behind the cover, just checking earth really is the third wire

And whats the other end of that mains cable? (the 3 wires, red,black and green/yellow)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2015 03:34AM by Dust.
December 23, 2015 04:02AM
The red, lack, green/yellow goes to the power plug then onto the wall PowerPoint and seen in pic 3 below.

[s11.postimg.org]

[s11.postimg.org]

[s11.postimg.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2015 04:04AM by Mikip89.
December 23, 2015 04:37AM
Well the power supply end is correct. Sadly I dont know the pins for that plug + switch..

Found it on google... looks fine.

Dead power supply. Contact your supplier

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2015 04:43AM by Dust.
December 24, 2015 04:37AM
Dust
Well the power supply end is correct. Sadly I dont know the pins for that plug + switch..

Found it on google... looks fine.

Dead power supply. Contact your supplier

To me he has the Live/Neutral crossed whilst that should be ok it is maybe throwing his RCD out so maybe worth swapping the Red/Black at the PSU End and try again.

But other than that I would concur a dead PSU
December 24, 2015 06:21AM
dougal1957 your right... I was concentrating on the Earth.

On the power supply

L should be Red
N should be Black
Earth should be yellow/green

It doesn’t actually follow the standards for mains...
With a yellow/green earth your meant to have a blue neutral and a brown phase (live)
With red phase (live) and black neutral your meant to have a green earth.

regardless I still think the power supply sounds dead.
December 27, 2015 02:52AM
Hi thanks for the help so far. I just got a email back from the supplier and they showed me a pic of a wire that I had in the wrong place even though the instructions said otherwise so not sure how your supposed to put this thing together when the instructions seem to be for a diff model and I corrected the wire and tried to power it up again only this time there was a load bang and a spark from inside the power box so yea pretty much just blew it up. I just sent them another email asking where to go from here.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login