Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need Help Picking New Controller

Posted by Pole04 
Need Help Picking New Controller
December 13, 2015 12:42AM
I have a Hictop printer I have been playing around with for about a month now and there are several things I would like to upgrade on the printer. One of my biggest complaints has been the limitations of the controller board. I know next to nothing l about controllers so I would love if someone could offer some suggestions.

I want to find a board with plenty of room for upgrades. Minimum I need is room for min and max end stops, 3 fans, and I plan on adding a bed leveling system and would like to run the probe servo off the board if possible. Money is not really a problem... So I ask is there a dream controller for 3D printing enthusiasts? Or perhaps just some suggestions of quality boards.

One thing that I would love to see is a board that could support a touchscreen controller, but that may be a pipe dream.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2015 12:43AM by Pole04.
Re: Need Help Picking New Controller
December 13, 2015 03:20AM
I recommend the Duet 0.8.5 from Think3DPrint3D. It is 32 bit with a good web interface, native USB port, five A4982 drivers and SDHC socket. It is currently the only board that provides a web interface with high speed file upload to the SD card. It has outputs for 2 always-on fans and 2 PWM-fans (independently controlled). It does not support both max and min endstop switches, because they are not necessary - endstops are normally used only for homing the printer, and the firmware limits movement after homing.

The Duet works well with the PanelDue touch screen controller. You have a choice of 4.3, 5 and 7 inch touch screens. See [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] for more. PanelDue also works with other electronics running RepRapFirmware (e.g. Arduino Due/RADDS), and there is now support for it in the dev build of Repetier firmware. [Full disclosure: I manufacture the PanelDue.]

PS - RepRapFirmware (the firmware that runs on the Duet) does not currently support servo-deployed probes. Most Duet users use contactless Z probes instead, such as my differential IR height sensor - see [miscsolutions.wordpress.com].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2015 03:23AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].

December 14, 2015 02:29PM
I was thinking the Duet did have min/max endstops. Will it support FSR probes through a Z-min when I am using the max endstops for the 3 delta towers?
December 14, 2015 02:41PM
Yes. You use the XYZ endstop connectors for the delta towers, and either the analog Z probe connector or the E0 endstop connector for the FSRs depending on the type of output they provide.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

December 14, 2015 02:42PM
Thats right, there was an endstop specifically for the extruder. Thanks for the clarification.
December 14, 2015 05:24PM
Consider getting one of the John SL boards or Wing Wong's trinket code. It will make your life with FSR's easier.

[github.com]
December 16, 2015 10:24AM
Actually the FSR kit I purchased from Utlibots was either based on John SL's board or one of his boards. Works great, but I am constantly thinking of upgrading to a Duet for my Rostock Mini and was caught off guard by the lack of 2 end stops for the X, Y, and Z. The extruder endstop solves the issue though.
December 16, 2015 07:13PM
That kit is based on the JohnSL board. Good choice.

Kurzaa
Actually the FSR kit I purchased from Utlibots was either based on John SL's board or one of his boards. Works great, but I am constantly thinking of upgrading to a Duet for my Rostock Mini and was caught off guard by the lack of 2 end stops for the X, Y, and Z. The extruder endstop solves the issue though.
January 05, 2016 11:07PM
Thank you dc42! This looks perfect. I have spent a week mulling it over and researching and I will be ordering my Duet this Friday and a PanelDue as soon as they are back in stock.

One question though... I have never done more than simple modifications to my Hictop Prusa i3's Marlin firmware. I understand the process pretty well though. Will it be difficult to set up the firmware to work with my printer? Do you know of any good documentation I could look over?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2016 11:07PM by Pole04.
January 06, 2016 02:21AM
With RepRapFirmware, unless you are a developer you don't need to build the firmware yourself. You download a binary and use a tool called bossac to upload it to the Duet. Configuration of the firmware is done using the config.g file on the SD card. If you keep a copy of it on your PC, you can make changes to that one using a text editor, then upload it to the Duet using the web interface.

You will find config.g files ready configured for a few different printers in my repo. Details of what config.g should contain can be found at [reprap.org], [reprap.org] and [reprap.org].

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login