Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shrinking PTFE around Thermistor

Posted by Penguino 
Shrinking PTFE around Thermistor
December 07, 2015 08:37PM
Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing a Huxley Duo from Reprappro, but while I was looking through the build instructions I found a step where you're supposed to shrink a PTFE heat shrink around the thermistor. The suggested method was to use a cigarette lighter to shrink it, but I don't trust myself enough to do that. Is there any other inexpensive way to do this? I've thought of some bad ideas that would probably ruin the thermistor (like shrinking it in my oven) and, because I'm not very mechanically savvy, I would like more knowledgeable input.

Thanks,
Brandon.
Re: Shrinking PTFE around Thermistor
December 07, 2015 10:25PM
Penguino
Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing a Huxley Duo from Reprappro, but while I was looking through the build instructions I found a step where you're supposed to shrink a PTFE heat shrink around the thermistor. The suggested method was to use a cigarette lighter to shrink it, but I don't trust myself enough to do that. Is there any other inexpensive way to do this? I've thought of some bad ideas that would probably ruin the thermistor (like shrinking it in my oven) and, because I'm not very mechanically savvy, I would like more knowledgeable input.

Thanks,
Brandon.

Im sorry but if you dont trust yourself to heat shrink a thermistor wire with a lighter thenyou shouldnt be using a 3d printer.
Its very easy and basic.
December 08, 2015 02:50AM
I don't think it is PTFE tube you are supposed to shrink?
If so, I haven't done that.
If it's standard shrinktube, do it with a solder iron or fire lighter. Just be quick enough.
-Olaf
December 08, 2015 03:01AM
I have done this three times, and it was very easy. I used the flame on a burner of a gas hob. Ask on the Ormerod forum if you want more reassurance.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 08, 2015 08:47PM
Thanks for the reassurance. I guess I shouldn't be that worried about it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login