Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help! X-Axis stepping out

Posted by spezzer 
Help! X-Axis stepping out
December 01, 2015 07:40AM
Hi - please see attached pic. The X axis is shifting to the left - the object in the pic should have a vertical left face. The object has not shifted on the bed so must be a motor thing? Maybe belt slip? The X axis seems to move smoothly enough.

Any input appreciated

Cheers
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_20151201_170833.JPG (242.1 KB)
Re: Help! X-Axis stepping out
December 01, 2015 07:51AM
No picture...

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 01, 2015 12:10PM
Image added (didn't spot the size error)

Cheers
December 02, 2015 02:42PM
Turns out it wasn't hardware or software - more like a user malfunction :-(

The filament reels fouled on the x axis motor which caused the filament to tension which caused the filament drive to pull the printer closer to the reels which caused it to foul on the x axis motor even more which caused the filament......etc etc. It pulled so tight that the printer lifted itself onto 2 feet and once something gave it dropped back down again - hence the huge horizontal discrepancy.

I tried again and unbelievably the filament somehow had a crossover on the reel and tied itself in a knot. So this time the drive motor couldn't shift it and just wore a channel in the filament instead of feeding it.

Think I picked a bad time to print my Secret Santa!!

Thanks anyway
December 02, 2015 02:52PM
Filament tangling on the reels is one of the problem areas that no one seems to have addressed. I have run into similar problems in the past. I've been fighting it by trying to be more careful about how I handle the filament spool. I try to always keep some tension on the filament and never let it flop loosely. It seems to help, but I'm sure, the next time I run a 28 hour print, it will tangle about 27 hours in.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login