Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3D Printer - Newbie!

Posted by UltiFix 
3D Printer - Newbie!
November 28, 2015 09:50PM
Newbie here smiling smiley

So a friend of mine has a 3D printer mendel and it's partially assembled and he gave up on it. Hes just giving it to me, it will get here soemtime this coming week, about the only thing I know that need's a new part is the hotend. I have no idea which one I need. Does anybody have some good places for me to do some reading? And then any recommendations a fairly cheap hot end?

This is my first 3D printer, but i'm tech savvy. So this shouldn't be to bad smiling smiley

Thank you!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2015 09:50PM by UltiFix.
Re: 3D Printer - Newbie!
November 28, 2015 11:27PM
That's awesome!

For the hotend I would get a quality one from the start. I bought a knock off j head to start out with. It worked OK until it fell apart mid print. I cannot recommend the E3d lite enough and it is only 35ish USD.

A few tips:
Don't plug in stuff while the power is on, stuff can break.
Use thick wires for heated bed, stuff can melt.
Check every part on its own before putting it all together. That way you can know what mayou or may not need to be replaced without having to troubleshoot the whole thing.
Check for jumpers under stepper drivers, if applicable.

Even though these are basic, someone telling me about these tips beforehand would have really helped me out.

Some helpful links,
Thomas sanladerer youtube, look at firmware configuration, tuning speed, and other guides
Son of MegamaxGood read on printer operation and getting good results. Since your build is incomplete you may be able to incorporate some of his ideas
Reprap.org

Prusa i3 Rework - Ramps 1.4 - E3d Lite6 - Full Graphic LCD Controller
November 29, 2015 12:11AM
Wow! Thank you!
Perfect. Ill get the hotend you recommended! Is this one ok? I even have an ebay giftcard smiling smiley
Ill make sure to look at those links you gave me.

Thanks for a fast response and informative post!
November 29, 2015 12:23AM
That looks to be genuine according to the E3d distribution page
It should be a drop in replacement if you r extruder has a traditional mount where the hotend is secured with 2 screws. The assembly is mostly the same as the E3d V6 so you can use one of Tom's guides. Also be aware that the lite is made for PLA and ABS filament and is only able to use 1.75mm filament. Other common filament will work if they melt under 250c. Maybe wait until you get the printer to make sure you don't need a mounting plate and that it is 1.75mm filament.

Also are we discussing a traditional Mendel 90, Prusa i3, Kossel?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2015 12:26AM by gmckee.

November 29, 2015 12:24AM
Also forgot to add Prusa Calculator for steps per mm

November 29, 2015 12:27AM
Sounds good!
Were do you purchase most of your parts? I honestly have no idea what size filament I should use. I will probably be printing small things like gopro cases, custom camera mounts, and little stuff like that. (Im into the rc world so a 3D printer would be fantastic for making custom mounts)
So should I stick with 1.75? Or higher?

Thanks!
Sam
November 29, 2015 12:35AM
I honestly don't know.
Here are some pictures my friend sent me.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_3796.JPG (118.4 KB)
open | download - IMG_3793.JPG (143.1 KB)
November 29, 2015 10:50AM
1 75 is the most common filament today. It has many advantages over 3mm and vice versa. It comes down to what your extruder is set up for.

I have been using PLA from hatchbox that I purchased on amazon. ABS is a little tougher and probably better for your purposes.

The printer appears to be a Prusa i2. See that forum for for more specialized help.

November 29, 2015 11:58AM
Alright, thanks!
Yea, im definitely going to use abs. Where do you recomend a buy abs plastic spools?
What's a good price?
November 29, 2015 12:40PM
First know ABS most be printed on a heated bed. If the printer doesn't have one you will be limited to PLA. You could add a heated bed but may need a larger power supply, different controller, other hardware.

Avoid no name plastic. People have had good luck with Esun and Hatchbox. They run about $25 USD per kilo. Higher quality can be upwards of $50 a kilo.

November 29, 2015 12:47PM
Duplicate?
Somehow?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2015 02:24PM by UltiFix.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_3802.JPG (94.9 KB)
November 29, 2015 12:47PM
Shoot, I was planning on using abs. It's a older 3D printer... What voltage do these systems run at? I have a old computer power supply converted into a bench psu which I would be fine using with the 3D printer. But I need to replace my controller to?
Here are some more pic's, can you tell if it's a heated bed?

After looking at the photoes i think I do have a heated bed smiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smiley
Awesome!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:56PM by UltiFix.
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_3802.JPG (94.9 KB)
November 29, 2015 04:00PM
Most printers run a 12v with a few using 24v, yes that is a heated bed.

November 29, 2015 04:40PM
Thank you for your help!
(Is there a way to mark a thread as solved?)
December 01, 2015 01:15PM
Thread is not closed till you make a run and show us your prowess!smileys with beer
Get a heat temp sensor gun and digital micrometer.
December 02, 2015 03:38PM
Sounds good! Im supposed to get the 3D printer tonight, so maybe ill order those tools while I order new part's for it...
December 02, 2015 07:58PM
Well I got the printer, and I have no idea where to start!? Loose wires and stuff.. Partially assembled.
December 02, 2015 08:34PM
I would start with identifying the controller board and all the connection points for the motors, limit switches. Incoming power ect. Make sure everything is connected properly before attempting to power up.That's an old board and it may be hard to find any info. On it. It may be easier to buy a Ramps controller for it. By the way that's a nice old Mendel and well worth restoring. I'm a bit jealous. Its very close to a Prusa I2 so I would start my search there to get to know the printer.
December 02, 2015 10:18PM
This arena has enough gotchas in it than to be adding any more.
Support and community rule.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login