Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I fried my megas voltage regulator

Posted by Saybee 
I fried my megas voltage regulator
November 25, 2015 05:03PM
Hello this is my first post here and am a total 3d printing and arduino noob.

So I wanted to test my skills and tried to make one of these [www.instructables.com]
But when I wanted to sart it uf the first time there was a cracking sound and it started smoking.
Turns out my arduinos voltage regulator was fried.

So my questions are what could have caused it? I have a cheap chinese mega knock off so could it simply be the cheap parts that caused this problem?
Could this have something to do with my power supply? Can I repair my mega board?

Thanks

Here are photos of my build and my fried mega.
[imgur.com]
[imgur.com]
VDX
Re: I fried my megas voltage regulator
November 25, 2015 06:10PM
... most likely overcurrent by a short (or too much drawn current) -- but with some soldering skills you can replace the regulator ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
November 26, 2015 04:57AM
I didn't know you can run 28BYJ-48 steppers with a stepstick??
AFAIK you have to modify them internally to make them 4-wire bipolar. Did you do that?

The most important part was missing on the pics: the PSU connection to the Ramps board.
Also check the Ramps board for solder bridges causing shortcuts. Or endstops wired the wrong way.
-Olaf
November 26, 2015 06:09AM
O_lampe

Your correct, you cant run those steppers without breaking the internal interconnect

they are wired like

The connections from the centre of coils needs to be broken for polulu drivers. This is inside the stepper motor somewhere.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2015 06:21AM by Dust.
November 26, 2015 06:19AM
Re dead voltage regulator, shorting 5v to ground will do this nearly every time.

A lot of reprapers have found this out when they plug in their switch type endstops in the wrong place and short +5v to gnd via the switch.
Should be wired from S to - or S to + but never from + to -
November 26, 2015 09:17AM
Okay i tired to fix mine with a new voltage regulator but somehow ended up destroying the whole thing...
So now i invested some money in an official arduino and i will have another look at my wiring and my endstops
Thanks for the quick responses
smiling smiley
November 26, 2015 09:53AM
This is my endstop wiring
[imgur.com]

Is it any good?
November 26, 2015 11:12AM
Yes I modified the motors as described in the instructable.
Here is my psu connection for ramps
[imgur.com] from left to right: 2 yellow 12v cables, 2 black grnd cables, 2 brown 12v cables (apparently my psus square 4-pin had black and brown cables instead of yellow ones) and 2 black grnd cables i used two cables because i read somewhere that it was safer because of overheating of single cables(?)
Anyways my multimeter shows 12v from 1st to second pin and 12v from 3rd to 4th and nothing between 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 4th
November 26, 2015 01:28PM
Okay I went full retard on this one.
One of my endstops was mounted on one of the rods and the rod connected 2 pins on its backside causing the short haha

Now my printer is finally moving smiling bouncing smiley

Thanks for your help and advices everyone smiling smiley

Time to calibrate i guess^^
November 27, 2015 10:01AM
Don't forget giving a good size of heat sink on your regulator...usually it's 7805.....if it's broken....replace, it's not expensive....
or modify with switching regulator LM2596....
December 06, 2015 05:44AM
smiling bouncing smiley I fried the regulator on mine 2 years ago when I was assembling my i2. I just pulled 5V from my power supply, pulled D1 out of the RAMPS. A couple thousand hours later, still ticking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2015 05:44AM by kerkove.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login