Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

V-slot Prusa i3

Posted by Origamib 
V-slot Prusa i3
November 24, 2015 04:04PM
I'm new to 3D printing... I have nearly gone and bought a cheap kit multiple times, but each time I have to stop myself because I know for a fact that I'm basically going to rebuild it almost completely with upgrades.

So, despite having never worked with 3D printers, I've opted to design and make my own.
I don't own a lot of tools, so the build criteria is to be (relatively) cheap and use parts that can be bolted together easily. So, here is where V-slot extrusion comes into play!

My idea is to take a prusa i3 and make it almost exclusively with 'off-the-shelf' 500mm lengths of extrusion. The Z-axis will be driven by a single nema-23 attached to 2 leadscrews, and guided by wheels on the extrusion. The X-axis will also use wheels on the extrusion, ran by a nema-17 on a belt. The Y-axis will be the print bed and will run on smooth rods, this is purely for ease of set up and to keep costs down a bit.
I realise I will need a rigid frame, and so most extrusion will be 40x20 pieces

By using 500mm uncut lengths, the build area on this machine is potentially quite large... at least 450x450x450mm.
So, this leads me to my questions! Will a build of this size come into any potential problems? what problems does size cause?

Hopefully,when this finally progresses i'll be making a build log of it all
Re: V-slot Prusa i3
November 24, 2015 04:32PM
Take a look at my printer linked in my sig, below, for some possible ideas and some things you might want to avoid.

Moving a 450mm x 450mm bed can be done, but it will slow things down due to the large moving mass. You might want to consider a CoreXY design for something that big. The bed only moves in the Z axis so it is easier to control.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 24, 2015 06:49PM
Son of MegaMax has already been the source of much inspiration!

Core XY is great, although it adds more complexity which I'm not sure can be achieved as easily with 'off the shelf' parts. most designs I see tend to use some form of printed part. It also adds a higher cost for the frame.
November 24, 2015 11:48PM
Don't skimp on the frame! If the frame isn't good, it doesn't matter how good the rest of the machine is, your prints will suffer.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login