Advanced

Safety on PLA or nylon?

Posted by bianchi 
Safety on PLA or nylon?
November 20, 2015 04:50PM
Guys,

I read about this :

Particles

As well as emitting fumes, heating ABS and PLA also emits particles. The problem with these particles is that they’re tiny, often well below 100 nm in diameter. Particles of this size are called Ultra Fine Particles (UFPDs).

When we inhale UFPs they can end up deep inside our bodies and even make their way to our brains. They can then cause inflammation in our respiratory system or penetrate into our lungs as well as entering our bloodstream.

3D Printing VentilationRecent studies have shown that ABS emits around 10 times as many UFPs as PLA when heated, again making ABS more likely to affect our health than PLA

So, given this information about fumes and particles what can we do to minimize the risks?

There are such things as High Efficiency Particulate Arrestance (HEPA) filters, which could filter the air before it leaves the 3D printer.

However, some particles emitted by 3D printers are as small as 15 nm, whereas HEPA filters typically filter particles larger than 300 nm. This would be like using a wire fence to stop a bullet and is unlikely to help much.

Using a good ventilation system will dramatically reduce the fumes and particles we inhale. This is probably the best solution, combined with using PLA rather than ABS, which has fewer, less toxic emissions in the first place. Failing this, at least use your printer in a well ventilated large open space.

Ventilation systems (and incidentally 3D printer general performance) improves with an enclosed build area. This sounds like a great solution, but there is a problem with this.

Stratasys has Active Patent US6722872, filed on 23 June 2000, preventing anyone from selling a completely enclosed 3D printer. This patent isn’t due to expire any time soon so unless manufacturers license this from Stratasys (probably at great expense), we won’t be seeing many of these printers from any other manufacturers for another 5 years or .........

Source
3D printing safety..

Do I need a filter for a small printer like mine, it can print up to 20cm x 20cm x 23cm ?
Any experiences ?

Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login