Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

E3D Cyclops Issues

Posted by Make_3D 
E3D Cyclops Issues
November 15, 2015 11:59AM
Hi,

So i decided to take a chance and purchased the E3D Cyclops however before i even got chance to print I've already run into problems. I tried to set it up using repetier firmware but can't get it to operate as it should. The issue is that it is one heater / thermistor and 2 stepper motors feeding it and no matter what i try i cant get it to feed using the indiviual motors, they both end up turning at the same time. Has anyone got this setup working? should i be using this hotend as a mixing extruder? My main goal is to use this as a dual material hotend instead of a mixing one.
Re: E3D Cyclops Issues
November 15, 2015 04:19PM
Hi,

See there : [wiki.e3d-online.com].
E3D uses Repetier Firmware...

Or the Marlin firmware should be modified :
[wiki.e3d-online.com]

++JM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2015 04:55PM by J-Max.
November 15, 2015 05:59PM
Hi J-Max,

thanks for the reply, i am running Repetier firmware and checked out E3D's wiki page but couldnt find instructions on how to setup the firmware to use the cyclops hotend. The issue i have is that i tell the firmware that i have a mixing head (2 in 1 out) but no matter what i do both extruder motors turn at the same time. I am interested in playing about with different mixing settings but for the moment i just want to try simple 2 colour printing but can't even load the seperate colours individually without both motors turning at the same time.
November 16, 2015 02:14AM
slightly of topic: is the contermination problem solved so far? have you researched that?
November 16, 2015 04:15AM
Hi,

Please read carefully from stard to end winking smiley
E3D_wiki
Repetier firmware is easily configured with a graphical interface through the web config tool here: [with link] which supports the configuration of single nozzle, dual extruder systems.
++JM
November 17, 2015 01:25PM
Hi J-Max

You are going to have to forgive me but unless i am being very very thick (which is entirely possible) that link just takes me to the repetier firmware configuration tool, it doesnt give me any settings to use or any guide on how to get the cyclops configured correctly. I assume that it has to be configured as a mixing extruder however i dont know how to set it up as 2 print standard to colour prints without mixing.

sungod3k
I haven't find out anymore about the contamination when using different materials, i am working on the assumption that as long as i used a large enough purge tower that it should purge it all out before switching materials.
November 17, 2015 01:32PM
ok, i just read a post here some weeks ago that mentioned something about the e3d guys said about contermination with support materials, but couldnt find the original post.
November 17, 2015 07:00PM
Yeah the E3D guys said that when they printed using HIPS as the support material with ABS, the print itself came out fine however once the HIPS had been dissolved the layers of ABS began seperating due to contamination. I haven't seen whether this is the case yet as I can't seem to get the firmware working with the cyclops hotend yet
November 17, 2015 10:17PM
Yes that was it. I have high hopes for HIPS as support, let me know if you find something out about that.
November 19, 2015 04:06AM
Hi guys,

With HIPS as support you need a chimera configuration, you'll get oozle, but no contamination.
Make_3D
Hi J-Max

You are going to have to forgive me but unless i am being very very thick (which is entirely possible) that link just takes me to the repetier firmware configuration tool, it doesnt give me any settings to use or any guide on how to get the cyclops configured correctly. I assume that it has to be configured as a mixing extruder however i dont know how to set it up as 2 print standard to colour prints without mixing.

sungod3k
Ok, you should follow the configurator and read each line.
So you will find on fourth page under the title "Fused Filament Fabrication" a checkbox called "Mixing Extruder (1 Nozzle/heater + 2 or more filament feeder) (MIXING_EXTRUDER)"
Just check it and add 2 extruders. This is easy if you try winking smiley

++JM
November 19, 2015 05:46PM
Lol thanks J-Max, I had already done that and enabled the mixing extruder and added the second extruder, I had also told repetier host that it had a mixing head which gave me 2 extruders and only 1 heater / temperature, the issue I am having (which brought me here) is that despite the fact I can select between extruders 1 and 2 no matter which one I select they both end up moving, this means I can't load or unload either of them separately. This also means that I can do separate 2 colour printing (as in not mixed colours) as I can move one extruder separate from the other
November 19, 2015 06:51PM

Hi guys,

With HIPS as support you need a chimera configuration, you'll get oozle, but no contamination.

On what are you basing this? I can at least imagine that random amounts of hips around the main material layer could be washed away by the solvent and depending on where these hips amounts are placed is does more or less harm.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2015 06:52PM by sungod3k.
November 20, 2015 02:14AM
sungod3k

Hi guys,

On what are you basing this? I can at least imagine that random amounts of hips around the main material layer could be washed away by the solvent and depending on where these hips amounts are placed is does more or less harm.

You can tell the slicer to use a stripe-off tower for the oozing filament.
-Olaf
November 20, 2015 02:24AM
yes, but the report from the e3d guys seems to indicate that that trace amounts of HIPS still keep remaining in the nozzle. with normal materials that wouldnt be visible because the mixing ratio is so low. but if there is a tiny amount of hips in or around the main material and it gets dissolved it will dissolve the layer bonding surface. so the material change doesnt seem to be perfect.
November 20, 2015 04:01AM
sungod3k
yes, but the report from the e3d guys seems to indicate that that trace amounts of HIPS still keep remaining in the nozzle. with normal materials that wouldnt be visible because the mixing ratio is so low. but if there is a tiny amount of hips in or around the main material and it gets dissolved it will dissolve the layer bonding surface. so the material change doesnt seem to be perfect.

He was now talking about the chimera with two nozzles. There is no contamination between two materials when you leave a separation gap between them.
-Olaf
November 20, 2015 04:13AM
Ah my bad too much greek mythology spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2015 04:14AM by sungod3k.
November 20, 2015 08:03AM
Hi guys smiling smiley
sungod3k
I can at least imagine that random amounts of hips around the main material layer could be washed away by the solvent and depending on where these hips amounts are placed is does more or less harm.
When two filaments share the same melting block, when you extrude filament A you get a mix between A and B materials.
So the Cyclops configuration is not the good one when you want to use a soluble support material.
When you will remove the soluble B filament, you will get some holes or porosity in filament A layers.
The Chimera configuration, with two different heating blocs and nozzles is better for soluble support.
You will get some oozing but you don't care because it's soluble.

That's why you need the Chimera+Cyclops legend pack if you want a good dual extruder machine.
Chimera for soluble support and colour. Cyclops for dual colour without oozing.

If you want only one dual hotend, think about what will you print frequently.
If it's mostly one colour high detailed figurines that needs support, go for the Chimera.
If it's mostly two colour parts, get a cyclops and use one extruder as snap out support material.

After many trys I ordered a legend pack whick make dual extrusion easy.

++JM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2015 08:04AM by J-Max.
November 20, 2015 08:08AM
Make_3D
Lol thanks J-Max, I had already done that and enabled the mixing extruder and added the second extruder, I had also told repetier host that it had a mixing head which gave me 2 extruders and only 1 heater / temperature, the issue I am having (which brought me here) is that despite the fact I can select between extruders 1 and 2 no matter which one I select they both end up moving, this means I can't load or unload either of them separately. This also means that I can do separate 2 colour printing (as in not mixed colours) as I can move one extruder separate from the other
Hmm. It looks like I get you wrong. Sorry.
I did not have the same issues. I will think about it.

++JM
April 08, 2017 08:12PM
I have exactly same problem. I select Mixing extruder, I add 2nd extruder and two extruders begin to work together at the same time. And after a short time one blocks the other. Is there anything that we must do at slicing or add any special gcode to the start?
January 14, 2020 05:47PM
Hello. I had exactly the same problem. Mixing system always contaminate or we must waste a lot of material with purge towers.
I have installed a Chimera, but.... someone could help me with firmware settings? Is giving me some errors about mixing etc...
My printer is a geeetech A10M clone and arduino IDE is giving me this error message :Arduino:1.8.10 (Windows 10), Tarjeta:"Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

SanityCheck.h:488:6: error: #error "MIXING_EXTRUDER currently only supports one extruder."

#error "MIXING_EXTRUDER currently only supports one extruder."

^~~~~

SanityCheck.h:1072:4: error: #error "TEMP_SENSOR_1 shouldn't be set with only 1 HOTEND."

#error "TEMP_SENSOR_1 shouldn't be set with only 1 HOTEND."

^~~~~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2020 05:48PM by MarioXpro.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login