Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Plastic Standoffs for Arduino Mega 2560 on Prusa i3 Aluminum Frame?

Posted by leeand00 
Plastic Standoffs for Arduino Mega 2560 on Prusa i3 Aluminum Frame?
November 15, 2015 08:58AM
I purchased an Arduino Mounting Kit with Female-Female Standoffs from Vetco (VUPN7117) They fit just fine in the Arduino Mega (after a bit of a run in with the dermal tool). Maybe this sounds dumb, but the screws are metal and the standoffs are plastic, as long as the screws don't touch any electronic components on the board, and the other screw attached to the plastic is attached to the aluminum frame, I shouldn't have to worry about any sort shorting out correct?

I saw something mentioned in the wiki about using Arduino washers (whatever they are) to keep the current from flowing into the standoffs, but I'm also assuming they are talking about metal standoffs.
Re: Plastic Standoffs for Arduino Mega 2560 on Prusa i3 Aluminum Frame?
December 01, 2015 03:13PM
Arduino washers are nylon. If u in USA go to Home depot and get nylon screws, washers, and nuts.
The Arduino washers keep the board off the metal frame Prusas.
Standoff vias on boards are covered or not. If not they are usually used for grounding purposes. If shelaced then they are insulated.
December 01, 2015 08:07PM
I actually screwed in little bits of plastic in the standoff between the screw that's attached to the frame and the screw that attached to the board. I hope this does the trick.

What does shelaced mean?
December 04, 2015 12:19AM
Shellacqued is the correct spelling. A glaze coating that is hard like a varnish.
December 04, 2015 12:23AM
I designed and printed these for mounting the Aduino/RAMPS on my printer's 1.5" square T-slot frame a couple years ago:

[www.thingiverse.com] and then this: [www.thingiverse.com]

No screws needed- it just snaps in place. It shouldn't be too hard to modify to fit any other size T-slot extrusion.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 07, 2015 10:29PM
since you have a 3d printer you could just print something out.
The best thing to do is make some pla or asb washers.
So it would be screw head, washer, frame, standoff , board ,washer, nut.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login