Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How can I extrude *.png file ?

Posted by bianchi 
How can I extrude *.png file ?
November 10, 2015 10:00AM
Guys,

How can I extrude 2D picture on *.png file, so I can print it as 3D ?
Which software can I use ?

Is it possible with 123DCatch ?

Thanks
Re: How can I extrude *.png file ?
November 10, 2015 03:23PM
First thought is to convert it to a gray scale bitmap, then you might be able to extrude pixels in 123D Design or Fusion 360.

I did try a quick Google search though and found the following site with a few more ideas, including Inkscape which I forgot about.

[www.print3dforum.com]
November 10, 2015 03:32PM
There are a few free bitmap to .obj converters out there and also a lithopane generator on Thingiverse.
If it is a logo or something like that it is better to try to get a vector graphic and convert it to 3d by hand.
November 10, 2015 04:32PM
Ok guys, thanks a lot for the ideas and links
November 10, 2015 04:35PM
Photoshop can extrude from a PNG. What is transparent is nothing, what is colour is solid. It's simple but works for 2d extrusion.

Lithophane generators or the like work well, and Cura can slice directly from an image file -- at least JPG and BMP.
November 10, 2015 07:06PM
Also Inkscape can be used to change a png to a dxf which can then be imported into openscad to create a stl.
November 11, 2015 03:37AM
Cura can load images as well and convert it to a luminance to height object. I used it with a led light for a see through picture which worked well if you choose the proper images. A well contrasing subject with a smooth background for example. You can export the object for editing, to add a frame or mounting holes for example.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2015 04:01AM by imqqmi.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login