Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heated build chamber

Posted by Michel000 
Heated build chamber
November 08, 2015 12:55PM
Hi, im in the proccess of building my own 3d printer and i want it to have a heated build chamber.
The room where its standing is very cold during the winter and i really want to have a constand temp. of around 40 45 degrees.

Im used to work with arduinos and programming a PID controller and using a mosfet for some kind of a heater should not be a problem., but i dont mind to just buy something thats just plug and play.

Do you have any suggestion about the type of heater i can best buy? The chamber to heat will be around 500x500x500 mm big temp outside the chamber can be as low as 5 degrees. .
Re: Heated build chamber
November 08, 2015 01:22PM
Some printer electronics such as Duet with RepRapFirmware allow you to repurpose one of the nozzle heater outputs and thermistor inputs for a chamber heater. The M141 code controls he chamber temperature. If you use 24V electronics (which is recommended for larger printers anyway because it supports large bed heaters), then you can drive a 100W chamber heater directly from the output. For greater heating power, use a mains-voltage halogen bulb driven by a low-cost DC-AC SSR. You will almost certainly want to run a fan on a low setting to distribute the heat.

If you are not too fussy about the chamber temperature, then the bed heater will provide sufficient heat if you insulate the chamber suitably. I have printed ABS parts successfully by putting two plastic bags over my delta printer to keep the heat in.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
November 14, 2015 02:09AM
Hi DC42,
What if I use a 12 power supply with 73A?
would it covers all the printer's needs?
Thanks
November 14, 2015 02:55AM
I use a heater like this [www.amazon.com]

It simply plugs into a lamp socket. No need to control it but rather just buy the wattage you need (the higher the wattage the hotter they will be. Mine is actually only 40w but I might get a 75w one later).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2015 02:57AM by tmorris9.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login