Advanced

The object is not manifold ?

Posted by bianchi 
The object is not manifold ?
November 08, 2015 06:33AM
Guys,

I got message from Repetier....."the object is not manifold......."
How can I fix it ?

I have tried netfabb from microsoft , but it's very long time to finish...

Any other ways ?

Thanks
Re: The object is not manifold ?
November 08, 2015 07:21AM
Did you draw the object using Sketchup, or is it downloaded from Thingiverse from a page with no photos of the printed part?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 08, 2015 08:56AM
I drew some of the parts, and downloaded one of the part...
How can I combine them ?

When I tested the downloaded part, I got this message already "The object is not manifold"...

How can I fix it ? thanks
November 08, 2015 09:30AM
If the downloaded part is not manifold, combining it with your other parts isn't going to fix it. Did you download an STL or SKP file or what?

If netfabb can't fix the downloaded part, you may as well just redraw it yourself.

Meshmixer can be used to combine different parts into a single part, but I don't know how well it handles nonmanifold parts. If you're just trying to print multiple parts at the same time you can just add the stl files to the build platform in the slicer before you print.

Did you download the object from a page that didn't have a photo of the printed part? There are a lot of low quality part designs on thingiverse- the first clue to poor quality is a page that doesn't have a photo of the part. The second clue is an SKP file. If the original poster didn't/couldn't print it, you may have a hard time doing so, too.

Sketchup often produces nonmanifold STL files. If you're going to be doing a lot of 3D designing, switch to one of the other programs that works better. If you're used to sketchup, it is very easy to learn DesignSpark Mechanical, another free CAD program. I've been using DSM for about 2 years and can't recall it ever producing a nonmanifold STL file. Autodesk Fusion 360 is free and very good, too, but has a steeper learning curve.

The problem with Sketchup is that curves are never represented as curves- they are always polygons. That leads to all sorts of problems like the one you're running into. There are all sorts of work-arounds to get better results, but why suffer through learning all that trivia when there are real CAD programs that don't have those problems to work around?

I used to use sketchup- some of my thingiverse designs have skp files posted- but I got tired of having to process everything through netfabb to make it printable (my thingiverse STL files, even those that started as sketchup files, should print fine). I haven't had to use netfabb on my own designs since I switched to DSM when it first became available.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2015 09:41AM by the_digital_dentist.

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
November 08, 2015 10:22AM
I downloaded STL file....

So I can use Autodesk Fusion 360 for editing it ? thanks...
November 08, 2015 09:51PM
Fusion 360 is not yet very well-suited for STL editing. netfabb basic has great ways to manually add triangles and seal up meshes. Also, Meshmixer has a function under "edit -> make solid" that will make it manifold, but it messes with the geometry and can increase the polygon count tremendously.
November 08, 2015 11:17PM
I have 123d meshmixer on my computer....can it be used for non manifold fixing? Any tutorial for it?
November 09, 2015 04:30AM
click the edit button on the left toolbar, choose make solid. Increase the resolution sliders and adjust other properties to suit. Tada.
November 09, 2015 06:03AM
Which one is resolution slider ? thanks

I can see :
Solid Accuracy, Mesh Density, Offset Distance, Min Thickness....

?? Which one ? thanks
November 09, 2015 02:00PM
Personally I turn Solid Accuracy and Mesh density to the maximum, leave offset and min thickness alone, and see if the results are good. I use offset or min thickness to ensure the model is thick enough to print or to make it bigger and usually smoother. after you adjust the sliders, click "update" and wait a long while to see the results.
November 09, 2015 03:16PM
Ok, thanks for the suggestion, I'll give a try.....
When I open *.stl file on Autodesk123D, it's waiting very long and finally is not responding, why is it ?
November 09, 2015 03:51PM
Are you referring to Meshmixer or 123d Design? I'm not familiar with the latter, but the former can sometimes take a while with large meshes.
November 09, 2015 04:55PM
123D design...
November 09, 2015 06:47PM
No clue about that one, sorry. I use fusion360 for designing and it works out great.
November 09, 2015 09:04PM
Is it free?
November 09, 2015 09:16PM
It certainly is free for hobbyists and startup companies.
November 09, 2015 11:17PM
Ok that s good it s only my hobby.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login