Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

help getting started - gen 3 electronics

Posted by niglyn 
help getting started - gen 3 electronics
September 03, 2010 04:38PM
Hi Guys,
Am trying to get started by sourcing the electronics. I would like fully assembled boards. Am I right in thinking the latest version is generation 3?
Have found BotMill who do a kit with all electronics but they do not look like the piccys on reprap.org. and the main board does not appear to have the ATX header. They also show a Arduino Mega board.

All help and advise greatfully received.

Thanks all,
N.

[www.botmill.com]
Re: help getting started - gen 3 electronics
September 03, 2010 05:01PM
I recently started making a Mendel and was looking for boards as well. I've been convinced to wait for the Generation 6 electronics by Camiel. check [www.mendel-parts.com] They are projected to be released at the end of september.
September 04, 2010 04:38AM

Am I right in thinking the latest version is generation 3?

If you consider "latest" as the "officially recommended one", then yes, it's Gen3 electronics. Quite a lot of the more active RepRap people build new machines now with Pololu Electronics, though. Apparently, neither Gen4 nor Gen6 electronics are community-developed, but currently undisclosed products of their shops (makerbot.com, mendel-parts.com).

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

September 04, 2010 06:51AM
The Mega-Pololu Electronics are definitely "Hot" right now. In part because reprap-dev can get their hands on them, and because they like them.

So buy and build them, till we have files for Gen 6.

Apparently, neither Gen4 nor Gen6 electronics are community-developed, but currently undisclosed products of their shops (makerbot.com, mendel-parts.com).

Sort of. As entrepreneurs, their motivations are understandable, if still frustrating. They've assumed substantial financial risk by fabricating stuff and they want to be the first movers with their stuff, (for the money), which is why RRRF-Thingiverse strategically deleted the Gen 4 boards when I attempted to mirror Gen 4 from MakerBot's wiki into RepRap's wiki. smiling bouncing smiley

That said, regarding, Gen 6, I know that Camiel will make an effort to upload files to RepRap wiki, and more broadly, I trust him to work closely with the rest of reprap-dev to make sure it all works, as part of the community; he will seek to integrate his stuff with RepRap as part of the community rather than aggressively siloing it from RepRap like RRRF-Thingiverse is doing with Gen 4.

For that reason, I'll "officially" recommend Gen 6. Along with Gen 3 Techzone Remix. To the extent that I'm slightly more official than many other official RepRap developers.

Being a linux-weenie, I'd rather push EMC than all this arudino-esque stuff, but the wiki has no electronics for that yet. smoking smiley

>grinning smiley<Go forth, and use EMC rather than RepRap-Host, it's more "Official">grinning smiley<
That's the Official RepRap Party Line, once I can get someone to agree with me. (Can't have a party with only one person.)

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
September 04, 2010 03:45PM
The Gen6 looks similar to a Gen3 respin I have in the works designed for beginners to get started with Repstraps and Raphacks easily.
The Gen6 YouTube video shows a nice setup, minimal wiring, single board. it looks similar to a combined Gen3 setup having 4 x stepper drivers integrated, and it looks like they have also integrated the extruder functions into the main Micro which is sensible.

The FDTI chip is also onboard so that helps, it should be a nice board for most users.

If the spare RJ45 is for RS485 extruder expansion and it has a few spare control pins, ADC's and Mosfet outputs for Heated bed's etc it should do very well for mendel-parts, well done guys.

edit- Just spotted it has a Wiki page with all the info,I should have checked first before trying to guess from youtube vids smiling bouncing smiley - Gen6

The only thing I would have done differently would be using dual-pitch PCB idents for both Surfacemount and conventional components so it's a bit easier for DIY builds. - A very nice board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2010 03:57PM by richrap.
September 05, 2010 07:09AM
Sebastien
For that reason, I'll "officially" recommend Gen 6.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to recommend something which isn't even available for testing yet. This asks people to lay aside - and likely forget about - their half-finished machine. This also hobbles people working on other alternatives. Gen2, Gen3, Pololu and a whole bunch of derivates there of are all proven to work and can be built now.

That said, I trust you to do the right thing.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login